Troubles: remote profiling and including packages

CodePro Profiler allows you to find performance bottlenecks, memory leaks and threading issues in a painless and intuitive manner.

Moderators: gnebling, jwren, Eric Clayberg, Dan Rubel, Brian Wilkerson, ppetrochenko, Ilya

Troubles: remote profiling and including packages

Postby devaun » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:39 am

Hi

One feature I really thing is swell about your product is the ability to profile only a few classes from the project. However, I am having difficulties.
Remote profiling with "default" excluded sun/ibm/etc classes works great(byte code instrumentation does dog down very fast boxes). Well, get lots of data.
My problem: remote profiling with "selected" classes fails to gather ANY data.
My approach (maybe you will see a flaw in my approach?)
Our project is a "tomcat" project with jsp/servlets.

1) Launch eclipse ganymede. (eclipse. jvm 1.6.0_07)
2) project->profile with code pro as->remote profiling.
3) profiling mode: byte code ->configure filters.
4) "Exclude packages from profiling" dialong, remove all. (remove all the default sun,ibm, etc)
5) click "configure using workspace" button.
6) Dlg with title "please select elements that SHOULD be instrumented.
-I choose my packages carefully. Only those that I am interested in.
-Click OK
7) Now, the "Exclude packages from profiling" dialog list those packages that I just "included".
-THIS seems odd to me. The classes I just INCLUDED are listed in the excluded box...
-This seems like the problem to me.

8 ) Launch the profiler.
9) Launch the tomcat with the VM args per the profiler. Agent/tomcat connect, all is good.
-Again, using "default exclusion" filters, works and returns tons of data. Too much data. Just care about certain things.

Maybe you can see a flaw in my approach? Please advise. THNKS!
devaun

Re: Troubles: remote profiling and including packages

Postby ppetrochenko » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:20 am

Hi, devaun,

I am attaching screen shots which probably will show how configuring filters from the workspace work more clearly. In two words top level '*' node means this: "instrument nothing, but classes and packages that are children of '*'". Probably this is not very clear so if you have any ideas about making it more simple and usable please let us know how you see it.

According to the potential problem that you may have with configured exclusion filters. By default there is a UI filter that filters of all methods that take less then 2% of execution time from the views.Probably this is you case (To check it you should turn off this filter in the filterPanel.jpg).

If this will not help , please attach captured snapshot and we will try to investigate why this feature does not works as expected.

Thanks in advance,
Pavel
Attachments
filter1.jpg
Sample of filter configuration when only selected user class is instrumented.
filter1.jpg (26.01 KiB) Viewed 930 times
filterPanel.jpg
UI filters configuration
filterPanel.jpg (20.06 KiB) Viewed 932 times
result.jpg
The result of profiling with selected instrumentation filters.
result.jpg (123.89 KiB) Viewed 930 times
filter2.jpg
Sample of filter configuration when selected user class and java.util.* package are instrumented.
filter2.jpg (27.82 KiB) Viewed 931 times
ppetrochenko

Return to CodePro Profiler