Problems in WSAD 5.1.2

CodePro AnalytiX (Audit & Test), includes over 1000 audit rules and metrics, JUnit test generation & editing, code coverage, and duplicate code analysis

Moderators: gnebling, jwren, Eric Clayberg, Dan Rubel, Brian Wilkerson, dcarew

Problems in WSAD 5.1.2

Postby mikesmithson » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:12 pm

Hi:
I have a couple of issues that I would like to classify as bugs:
1) When I start up WSAD, the Package+ view does not size correctly, it is a small rectangle that does not stretch to the correct height when WSAD starts up in the Java+ perspective.

2) I also wanted to automatically generate JUnit test cases using the context menu in the Java+ perspective. While the test class and the TestAll.java are generated in a new project, the number of test cases generated are less than the number of public methods in the class under examination.

Thanks
mikesmithson

Postby mikesmithson » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:30 pm

Here is some of the stacktrace in the .log file:

!ENTRY com.instantiations.eclipse 4 0 Jun 26, 2006 17:45:55.709
!MESSAGE Failed during test case generation
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java)
at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java)
at java.lang.NullPointerException.<init>(NullPointerException.java:63)
at com.instantiations.assist.eclipse.junit.ui.util.TestCaseGenerator.findTestCase(TestCaseGenerator.java:747)
at com.instantiations.assist.eclipse.junit.ui.util.TestCaseGenerator.generateTestCase(TestCaseGenerator.java:399)
at com.instantiations.assist.eclipse.junit.ui.util.TestCaseGenerator.generateAllTestCases(TestCaseGenerator.java:349)
at com.instantiations.assist.eclipse.junit.ui.util.TestCaseGenerator.generateTestCases(TestCaseGenerator.java:295)
at com.instantiations.assist.eclipse.junit.ui.action.GenerateTestCaseAction.runInBackground(GenerateTestCaseAction.java:285)
at com.instantiations.assist.eclipse.junit.ui.action.GenerateTestCaseAction$1.run(GenerateTestCaseAction.java:225)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext.runInCurrentThread(ModalContext.java:302)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext.run(ModalContext.java:252)
at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.ProgressMonitorDialog.run(ProgressMonitorDialog.java:357)
at com.instantiations.assist.eclipse.junit.ui.action.GenerateTestCaseAction$2.run(GenerateTestCaseAction.java:236)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1402)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.run(Workbench.java:1385)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.InternalBootLoader.run(InternalBootLoader.java:858)
at org.eclipse.core.boot.BootLoader.run(BootLoader.java:461)
at java.lang.reflect.AccessibleObject.invokeL(AccessibleObject.java:207)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:271)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:291)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:747)
at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:583)
mikesmithson

Postby Brian Wilkerson » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:14 pm

Mike,

Thanks for posting!

1) When I start up WSAD, the Package+ view does not size correctly, it is a small rectangle that does not stretch to the correct height when WSAD starts up in the Java+ perspective.

We have not seen this problem before, but are investigating it. We'll let you know as soon as we have a fix for you.

2) I also wanted to automatically generate JUnit test cases using the context menu in the Java+ perspective. While the test class and the TestAll.java are generated in a new project, the number of test cases generated are less than the number of public methods in the class under examination.

There are two possible explanations. The first is the bug you found and sent us a stack trace for. This could easily prevent some of the classes from having a test class generated for them, and could have prevented some of the target methods from having test methods generated for them.

The second possibility is that there might have been problems encountered while attempting to execute your code. The test code generator executes the code under test in order to better understand its behavior. If that code throws an exception (for example), we might not be able to generate a test method for those arguments. Sometimes this can be caused by a bug in your code, but more often is a result of the test generator not correctly configuring the environment before running the code. A description of what happened is printed to the log file.

Again, thanks for sending us these bug reports. We'll get back to you as soon as possible.
Brian Wilkerson
Google, Inc.
http://www.google.com
Brian Wilkerson

Postby Eric Clayberg » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:17 pm

We have not seen this problem before, but are investigating it. We'll let you know as soon as we have a fix for you.

We were not able to reproduce this. Can you post a screen shot of what you are seeing and send us your complete WSAD/Eclipse ".log" file?

What version of CodePro are you using?

Try deleting your WSAD workspace\.metadata\.config directory and see if that helps.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby mikesmithson » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:44 am

Eric - sure not a problem. I also should inform you that I am using PVCS in our development environment. So, not sure or not if you need PVCS to reproduce the problem.
mikesmithson

Postby Eric Clayberg » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:15 pm

mikesmithson wrote:Eric - sure not a problem. I also should inform you that I am using PVCS in our development environment. So, not sure or not if you need PVCS to reproduce the problem.

I don't see how that would make any difference. As a test, you could try it in a clean WSAD environment to see if it makes any difference. All we have available to test with is CVS.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to CodePro AnalytiX & PlusPak. EclipsePro Audit & Test