Metrics

CodePro AnalytiX (Audit & Test), includes over 1000 audit rules and metrics, JUnit test generation & editing, code coverage, and duplicate code analysis

Moderators: gnebling, jwren, Eric Clayberg, Dan Rubel, Brian Wilkerson, dcarew

Metrics

Postby GregTD » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:51 am

Having looked through the metrics and their descriptions for one of my projects, I continually found myself asking "Why do I care?" And that is a question that you never address. Perhaps you have it tucked away someplace else, in which case I strongly suggest you copy it into the Descriptions. Because I got a couple of metrics highlighted in red, but I've yet to figure out why I should care about any of them.
GregTD

Re: Metrics

Postby Eric Clayberg » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:28 am

GregTD wrote:Having looked through the metrics and their descriptions for one of my projects, I continually found myself asking "Why do I care?" And that is a question that you never address. Perhaps you have it tucked away someplace else, in which case I strongly suggest you copy it into the Descriptions. Because I got a couple of metrics highlighted in red, but I've yet to figure out why I should care about any of them.

If you have to actually ask the question of "why do I care", then, in fact, you probably don't care (and I'm being serious here). Metrics are often very subjective and the thresholds set for them are definitely subjective. We have set some reasonable defaults, but you can change them to anything you want. If you have not spent much time learning/thinking about metrics, then the various metrics provided by CodePro probably will be of little value to you. Conversely, if you are someone who cares a great deal about metrics and knows where and when then might be useful, then CodePro provides a very useful set of metrics to work from. There are some very good books available on the topic of metrics that can go into great detail on what metrics might be useful in different circumstances and in different combinations.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to CodePro AnalytiX & PlusPak. EclipsePro Audit & Test