The .audit file and global inclusion/exclusion patterns

CodePro AnalytiX (Audit & Test), includes over 1000 audit rules and metrics, JUnit test generation & editing, code coverage, and duplicate code analysis

Moderators: gnebling, jwren, Eric Clayberg, Dan Rubel, Brian Wilkerson, dcarew

The .audit file and global inclusion/exclusion patterns

Postby ftr » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:04 am

Hey there,

I've been playing around with CodePro Analytix on an existing Maven based project of ours. We are using Maven Plugins for GWT and XMLBeans that deliver us generated classes (GWT Async interfaces, XML Marshalling) at build time into a subfolder of Maven's default "target" folder - meaning they are deleted by every "mvn clean" that comes along and regenerated. CodePro takes a fancy especially to the XMLBeans generated sources, but since these are throw-away things, I don't want the Audit to include those. I know I can define the .audit file for each project, but since I have a multitude of Eclipse projects, it would be quite redundant to have to copy the file to multiple places. What I'd like to do is to be able to just select all my projects and audit just the desired code without much hassle. This would enable me to find the hotspots across all my projects easier and in one view.

Are there any plans to make global inclusion and exclusion patterns available to the CodePro preferences? Those could be overridden by project specific settings.

Thanks,
Florian
ftr

Re: The .audit file and global inclusion/exclusion patterns

Postby Brian Wilkerson » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:40 am

Are there any plans to make global inclusion and exclusion patterns available to the CodePro preferences?

That functionality already exists. I'm not surprised that you didn't find it, though; the interface needs some work, to say the least :-) which is something we hope to be able to address in the near future.

If you open the Preferences dialog to the CodePro > Audit page, then select the tab labeled Dynamic Audit, you will find two lists containing inclusion and exclusion patterns. The list controls are disabled unless you select the check box at the top that enables dynamic audit, so select it, then fill in the lists as appropriate, the deselect it again. At the bottom of that tabbed page there is another check box that instructs CodePro to use the contents of those two lists for normal (manual) audits as well. Select that check box and you should find that those inclusion and exclusion patterns are used whenever you audit code in a project that does not contain a .audit file (despite the fact that they are disabled in the UI).
Brian Wilkerson
Google, Inc.
http://www.google.com
Brian Wilkerson

Postby ftr » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:15 am

Thanks Brian,

this works perfectly for audits, though it's certainly well-hidden :wink:

Any chance you're hiding something similar for the metrics somewhere?
ftr

Postby Brian Wilkerson » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:39 am

Sorry, but no, there's nothing similar for metrics. We'll keep it in mind though.
Brian Wilkerson
Google, Inc.
http://www.google.com
Brian Wilkerson

Return to CodePro AnalytiX & PlusPak. EclipsePro Audit & Test