Problems using the Update Manager with CP Analytix

CodePro AnalytiX (Audit & Test), includes over 1000 audit rules and metrics, JUnit test generation & editing, code coverage, and duplicate code analysis

Moderators: gnebling, jwren, Eric Clayberg, Dan Rubel, Brian Wilkerson, dcarew

Problems using the Update Manager with CP Analytix

Postby mikesmithson » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:11 am

Hi:
I am getting a problem when trying to do updates to my Eclipse installation. When I try to select the components that I want to update, I get a pop-up message that says something like "CodeProAnalytix 4.5.0 requires com.ibm.xxx.compatibility" or something similar. I can give more details if needed but I am wondering if anyone else has encountered a similar issue?
mikesmithson

Postby gnebling » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:31 am

I believe this has been fixed. Try a fresh download.
gnebling

Postby mikesmithson » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:33 am

In which version?
mikesmithson

Postby gnebling » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:35 am

Any of the CodePro v4.5 download.
gnebling

Postby larrycai » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:46 pm

It seems the problem still exist (or my wrong installation ??)

I installed CP 4.6.0 release (zip file), and unzip it to plugin directory as normal, (before it I remove the CP 4.5.1 release).

When I use the update manager to install like subversive, and comes to the feature selection, it reports the configuration problem.

Click the error details, it shows
CodePro - Analytix (4.6.0) requires plugins "org.eclipse.core.resource"

This problem exist before (4.5.1 release), I don't know how to clean it.

It is really annoying for us.

Thanks.
larrycai

Postby Eric Clayberg » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:04 pm

What version of Eclipse are you using?

Which exact CodePro ZIP file are you using?

Have you tried using the CodePro installer?

Have you tried cleaning your Eclipse /configuration directory?

Can you send us screen shots of the errors you are seeing?
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby larrycai » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:00 pm

After I clean the configuration according to the guideline, it is ok this time.

Suggestion:
1. put the .eclipseextension and \eclipse directory into the zip file, then no manual work
2. the step in guideline for create a link is better to use "Mananage configuration" menu instead to avoid any manual work
3. before clean the configuration, better to indicate the bookmarks.xml could be kept, since everytime I tried the CP lost my update site list (previous I have no knowledge on bookmarks.

I have to say, install CP is little complex compare to other plugins though I think there must be some reason behind it.
larrycai

Postby Eric Clayberg » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:06 pm

larrycai wrote:1. put the .eclipseextension and \eclipse directory into the zip file, then no manual work

That would preclude people from installing the product directly into their Eclipse directories (a requirement for many users). The ZIP file structure follows common Eclipse conventions and is designed to be installed directly into an Eclipse installation or into a separate link directory which you can set up. The installer offers a better option as it will set up the link directory automatically without any manual intervention needed.

larrycai wrote:2. the step in guideline for create a link is better to use "Manage configuration" menu instead to avoid any manual work

Unfortunately, that approach is not guaranteed to work across all of the Eclipse versions that we support. In fact, we would need separate instructions for each major Eclipse release.

larrycai wrote:3. before clean the configuration, better to indicate the bookmarks.xml could be kept, since everytime I tried the CP lost my update site list (previous I have no knowledge on bookmarks.

OK. We'll add a note about that file (Eclipse 3.1 and above).

larrycai wrote:I have to say, install CP is little complex compare to other plugins though I think there must be some reason behind it.

Complex in what sense? The typical installation process for CodePro is to just run the installer. The installer takes care of all of the details and can handle multiple Eclipse distributions at the same time. The ZIP installs are provided as an alternative and can be installed just like any other Eclipse add-on providing a ZIP installation. We have tried to provide very detailed instructions to allow you to successfully install the ZIP directly into an Eclipse distribution or into a link directory. The installer is a better option as it will set up the link directory automatically without any manual intervention needed.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to CodePro AnalytiX & PlusPak. EclipsePro Audit & Test