RCP Packager installation failure on linux

RCP Packager allows you to quickly create an RCP installer. Help Composer allows you to easily create and edit Eclipse Help projects and content.

Moderators: gnebling, Eric Clayberg, Dan Rubel, keertip, blacksmith

RCP Packager installation failure on linux

Postby mwebber » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:13 am

On a fresh Eclipse 3.4.2 installation, I
1) downloaded and successfully installed WindowTesterPro_v3.8.0_linux_x86.bin.
2) started and then shut down Eclipse.
3) downloaded and attempted to install RCPPackager_v2.5.1_linux_x86.bin. This failed.

I do not have root, so both installs were against a copy of Eclipse in /scratch/eclipse/.

The RCPPackager install failed as follows :
[13:43][bmn54829@ws043:/scratch/downloads]$ ./WindowTesterPro_v3.8.0_linux_x86.bin
Installing Shared because no link file: /scratch/eclipse/links/com.instantiations.eclipse.shared.link
[13:45][bmn54829@ws043:/scratch/downloads]$ ./RCPPackager_v2.5.1_linux_x86.bin
Installing Shared because no link file: /scratch/eclipse/links/com.instantiations.eclipse.shared.link
Status ERROR: com.instantiations.installer.core code=0 error while running operation java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.instantiations.eclipse.shared.installer.operations.ScanUnlinkedInstallsOperation.isUnlinkedInstallDir(ScanUnlinkedInstallsOperation.java:314)
at com.instantiations.eclipse.shared.installer.operations.ScanUnlinkedInstallsOperation.findUnlinkedDirs(ScanUnlinkedInstallsOperation.java:153)
at com.instantiations.eclipse.shared.installer.operations.ScanUnlinkedInstallsOperation.run(ScanUnlinkedInstallsOperation.java:56)
at com.instantiations.installer.core.model.Context.runOperations(Context.java:208)
at com.instantiations.installer.core.model.Context.runOperations(Context.java:185)
at com.instantiations.installer.core.model.Context.run(Context.java:313)
at com.instantiations.installer.core.steps.RunOperationsStep.run(RunOperationsStep.java:56)
at com.instantiations.installer.internal.ui.steps.RunOperationsWizardStep$1.run(RunOperationsWizardStep.java:92)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:113)

Any thoughts?
mwebber

Re: RCP Packager installation failure on linux

Postby gnebling » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:41 pm

Could you please try installing Packager using the zip file into your dropins directory. Let us know how that works for you.
gnebling

Postby mwebber » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:40 am

I removed everything and reinstalled WindowTester and then RCPPackager. This time it all worked. I *suspect* that in my first install, I told RCPPackager that my eclipse was at /scratch rather than at /scratch/eclipse. Anyhow, problem solved.
mwebber

Postby gnebling » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:47 am

Good deal! Thanks for the update.
gnebling

Return to RCP Packager & Help Composer