RCP Packager

RCP Packager allows you to quickly create an RCP installer. Help Composer allows you to easily create and edit Eclipse Help projects and content.

Moderators: gnebling, Eric Clayberg, Dan Rubel, keertip, blacksmith

RCP Packager

Postby trialrun » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:32 am

I'm evaluating RCP Packager for releasing my RCP app. Seems like it does everything we would want it to, but I haven't been able to find any info on preserving user preferences. Is the onus on the developer to modify the build-installer.xml and/or the *Installer.java to save off the prefs and then restore them on top of the new installation workspace?

In short, what is the standard for providing application upgrades? Can the user just install one version on top of another without uninstalling? And what is the recommended process for preserving configuration and preference info?

Thanks very much.
trialrun

Re: RCP Packager

Postby Dan Rubel » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:58 am

I would recommend investigating the Eclipse Update Manager for updating an installed application. As of Eclipse 3.4, the Eclipse team has rewritten and improved the update experience.
Dan Rubel

Postby trialrun » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:58 pm

So basically I would use RCP Packager for the initial installation and then hook up the Update Manager for subsequent updates? I've done some basic research on p2, EPP, and the Update Manager, but I'm still trying to sort this all out. Any info you can provide as to how these should be working together (or independently, for that matter) would be much appreciated...
trialrun

Postby gnebling » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:27 pm

You might want to try posting your questions at the Eclipse.org newsgroups...

http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups/index_topic.php
gnebling

Return to RCP Packager & Help Composer