swing app with JVM arguments

WindowTester allows you to easily create and run unit tests for every GUI they build. It can also be used to generate system level tests.

Moderators: gnebling, Eric Clayberg, Dan Rubel, keertip, Phil Quitslund

swing app with JVM arguments

Postby kazoobrewer » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:24 pm

I'm running a swing application with WindowTester, and the recorder seems to be ignoring JVM and application arguments. Am I missing some required configuration?

Details:
Eclipse 3.5.1 Galileo on Windows
WindowTester components are version 6.0.0.r35
Project runtime JRE: 1.6.0_20

In the Record Configurations dialog, I have the following for my launch configuration:
Program Arguments:
-debug

VM Arguments:
-Xmx512m -Djava.library.path=./libraries -Djava.security.manager -Djava.security.policy=./java.policy
-Dsun.awt.disableMixing=true

Output from the first line of main shows no program arguments:
public static void main(String[] args) {
System.out.println("main: " + args.length);
gives output:
> main: 0

and I'm getting security errors suggesting VM args are also being ignored. The initial console output from WindowTester is:

Configuration location:
file:/C:/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/tmp_workbench_launch_config/
Configuration file:
file:/C:/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/tmp_workbench_launch_config/config.ini loaded
Install location:
file:/C:/eclipse/
Framework located:
file:/C:/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.5.1.R35x_v20090827.jar
Framework classpath:
file:/C:/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.5.1.R35x_v20090827.jar
Debug options:
file:/C:/workspace/Project/.options not found
Time to load bundles: 18
Starting application: 20371
kazoobrewer

Re: swing app with JVM arguments

Postby keertip » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:44 am

This should not be the case. Will look into this and see if we can reproduce this issue at our end.
keertip

Postby kazoobrewer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:07 am

A little more investigation:

It appears that the program argument "-debug" is eaten, but if the argument is something else, it's passed on. So a small annoyance, but not critical.

VM arguments appear to work in general--I can check defined system properties. Not sure why I'm getting the security errors (the defined policy file does a grants java.security.AllPermission for the development environment). They look like this:

java.lang.IllegalAccessError: class sun.reflect.GeneratedSerializationConstructorAccessor4 cannot access its superclass sun.reflect.SerializationConstructorAccessorImpl
class sun.reflect.GeneratedSerializationConstructorAccessor4 cannot access its superclass sun.reflect.SerializationConstructorAccessorImpl

during a routine deserialization, and

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: java.lang.IllegalAccessError: class sun.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor16 cannot access its superclass sun.reflect.ConstructorAccessorImpl (Caused by java.lang.IllegalAccessError: class sun.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor16 cannot access its superclass sun.reflect.ConstructorAccessorImpl)

when creating a commons LogFactory. I'm also getting NoClassDef errors initializing a commons HttpParser, so there may be something afoot with classpaths...
kazoobrewer

Postby keertip » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:46 am

Would it be possible to modify your application to print out the classplath? That way you could check if the classpath is missing something while recording.
keertip

Return to Window Tester