Can I use Window Tester in this environment...

WindowTester allows you to easily create and run unit tests for every GUI they build. It can also be used to generate system level tests.

Moderators: gnebling, Eric Clayberg, Dan Rubel, keertip, Phil Quitslund

Can I use Window Tester in this environment...

Postby ssnyder » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi,

I am evaluating whether or not Window Tester will work in my environment. Let me explain what it is and what our tester would like to do. Please note that this is for system integration testing, not just unit testing.

Currently we have a python based framework that controls and runs tests (similar enough to a junit framework for you to get the idea). It will kick off, and send tcpip messages to various systems/components that all need to respond appropriately....(these tcpip messages may tell the individual applications to do things like login, logout, perform functionX, perform function Y - and each application sends a response that our framework evaluates).

My project is an Eclipse RCP application, the first one in use at my company....and we would like to use Window Tester to somehow allow us to fit into this "model".

Basically, from python: we want to kick off my application (get some response that it's started), run testX (i.e. login), get some kind of response that testX was success/fail, run testY, get some kind of response that testY was success/fail, etc. Note that I do not want to stop the application in between, but have the Python script determine which test it wants to run next (so it can also perform other tasks on the other applications at various times).

My application runs and depending upon actions by other applications it will display/do different things for the "user" to respond to. We want to continue to use our Python control script to make the action happen, check my new application that it displays the appropriate "change", initiate other changes by my application and other applications, etc.

So, my question is....can I keep my application running somewhere, and have the python script somehow run a test that runs on a specific instance of my application without having to stop/start my application each time? We would also like to run this headless if possible.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Sharon
ssnyder

Re: Can I use Window Tester in this environment...

Postby keertip » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:02 pm

Sorry, WindowTester does not have the infrastructure built in such that it can interact with an external driver( in your case the python script). As to your second question, WindowTester can run headless and the tests can be started from a script.
keertip

Return to Window Tester