Running GUI test on CI server

WindowTester allows you to easily create and run unit tests for every GUI they build. It can also be used to generate system level tests.

Moderators: gnebling, Eric Clayberg, Dan Rubel, keertip, Phil Quitslund

Running GUI test on CI server

Postby hyshyshys » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:26 am

Hi,

I would like to execute my test unsing WindowsTesterRunner on a CruiseControl server. My test is running fine on my computer. The same test is running fine on the CruiseControl server if I execute them manually. However, when the server will run the test, most of the time, the computer is locked. In this case, the test cannot execute (since the computer is locked, GUI is not displayed). Is there a way to bypass this problem? I would prefer to keep this computer locked if possible.

Regards
hyshyshys

Re: Running GUI test on CI server

Postby Dan Rubel » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:00 am

WindowTester requires a UI for the tests to execute properly, so I recommend that you execute your WindowTester tests on a separate machine. This is what we do internally and then upload the test results to our build server.
Dan Rubel

Postby hyshyshys » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:48 am

Hi,

How do you make sure that the other computer is never locked? Do you have any software protection?

We connect to our CI server using remote desktop connection. In this case, when we have completed the job and we close the remote connection and the computer locked automatically. So the next test won't pass. In your case, it seems that you have 2 differents computers, one running the CI server and one running the GUI test, right? This second computer is never locked? How do you make sure of it?

Thanks

Regards
hyshyshys

Postby Dan Rubel » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:48 am

For WindowTester tests to run properly on our test machine (separate from our build machine), we reboot the machine as part of logging out of Windows Remote Desktop. There is some Windows / Eclipse SWT issue that requires this, but I'm not sure as to why... it just works.
Dan Rubel

Return to Window Tester