Running WT tests on a build machine

WindowTester allows you to easily create and run unit tests for every GUI they build. It can also be used to generate system level tests.

Moderators: gnebling, Eric Clayberg, Dan Rubel, keertip, Phil Quitslund

Running WT tests on a build machine

Postby mariu » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:09 am

I wonder if it is possible to get WT tests running automatically on a nightly build machine.
For now, our tests keep failing, the main reason being that these tests need the UI focus, thing that can’t happen while running the build under Cruise Control (it has no interaction with the desktop and causes the build to time out). I tried installing a VNC server and permanently keep one user logged in, but this didn’t solve our problem (even if it would fix the problem, reboots of the server, hence disconnecting the VNC user, would cause the tests to fail).
mariu

Re: Running WT tests on a build machine

Postby blacksmith » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:43 am

I have used older versions of Cruise Control and those versions did not support slaves or remote builds. We use Hudson to do our builds. On Hudson there are two solutions to this. First run on a slave on a machine that has a head running on it. This way the tests will run. The second solution is to use Hudson's virtualization plugin which allows you to run your build on a virtual machine (e.g. vnc). This way you can configure a virtual machine to run with a head and run your tests.

I'm not sure what Cruise Contol's capabilities are in these areas. My suggestion would be to see what Cruise Control can do in these areas.

Mark Russell
Build Master
Instantiations, Inc.
http://www.instantiations.com
blacksmith

Return to Window Tester