WindowTester without Plug-in projectdo not work(no recorder)

WindowTester allows you to easily create and run unit tests for every GUI they build. It can also be used to generate system level tests.

Moderators: gnebling, Eric Clayberg, Dan Rubel, keertip, Phil Quitslund

WindowTester without Plug-in projectdo not work(no recorder)

Postby manikanti » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:47 am

I have dropped-in http://downloads.instantiations.com/Win ... pse34.html, zip file, still record button do not show-up. Also tried with http://downloads.instantiations.com/Win ... esite.html option too, no luck.

The uniqueness of the eclipse that am using is that, it has been thinned and repacked as an application for TCL IDE that do not contain Plug-in perspective (i.e java project cannot be created).

I believe since Plug-in project cannot be created, option "Update site for Eclipse 3.4/3.5" should have failed in dependency check, this is defect ;). Since, without plug-in project, even if record option shows up no use, .java file has to be in java plug-in project, anyhow currently record option do not show up.

I tried with plane eclipse, to make sure am doing right thing, record option shows. However it shall show with repacked and thinned application. Can you provide let me know, what needs to be done :?: What all plug-ins needs to be added for plug-in project (java views...etc) and how they need to be added :?:

Thanks,
-Sreedhar Reddy
manikanti

Re: WindowTester without Plug-in projectdo not work(no recorder)

Postby gnebling » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:38 am

As stated in the System Requirements, "Installing into Eclipse 3.3 or above requires the full Eclipse SDK including the PDE. Use the Eclipse Classic, Java EE or RCP/Plug-in Developers distribution or install the PDE separately."

If you chose to install the PDE separately, you can use the eclipse update site to install the PDE.
gnebling

Postby manikanti » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:24 am

Thanks for quick response.

Having full eclipse is not sounding an option, as it require product modification. My bet will be installing PDE separately. Am using "http://update.eclipse.org/updates/3.4/" as an update site, there are too many plug-ins to choose.

Can you provide list of plug-ins that i need to choose to install? Is it "Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment" plug-in enough?

Appreciate, if WindowTester can do dependency check for list plug-ins that it is dependent to function, including the system requirements check and then prompt to install missing plug-ins. And also in the http://downloads.instantiations.com/Win ... lling.html, please explain clearly "install PDE separately" along with plug-ins that need to be installed.

Thanks,
-Sreedhar Reddy
manikanti

Postby gnebling » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:03 am

Could you look in your eclipse/plugins directory to verify if org.eclipse.pde.core_3.4.0.v20090202.jar and org.eclipse.pde.ui_3.4.0.v20090202.jar were installed. I tried installing WindowTester on a Java Developer's package that does not include the PDE and it appears that WindowTester installed the required pde plugins. I tried recording and the recorder shows up. If the pde plugins were installed then it might be an issue with your recording launch configuration. Make sure to select "All workspace and enabled target plugins" in the Plugins tab of the recording launch config.

If that's not the case, go ahead and install the "Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment". We've only tested the official Eclipse distributions and as far as we know, if the PDE is not included, our products won't work properly. If you are testing GEF, then you'll also need to install the GEF/Draw2D plugins.

Yes, we are looking into improving our update site dependencies.
gnebling

Postby manikanti » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:30 am

org.eclipse.pde.* plug-ins were not present in "plugins" and "features" folders. Using the update site http://update.eclipse.org/updates/3.4/, installed following features/plugins
Eclipse Plugin Development Environment
Eclipse Java Development Tools
Eclipse PDE Plugin Developer Resources

Now, it is working. Thanks for look into issue. Typically some users many not use official Eclipse distributions, you may please want to document or prompt the user for missing plugins and update it.

Thanks again.

-Sreedhar Reddy
manikanti

Postby Phil Quitslund » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:52 pm

Glad it's working for you now. Thanks for the update and the feedback. We'll look at updating our docs to make this more clear to future users.
--
Phil Quitslund
Software Engineer
Google, Inc.
Phil Quitslund

Return to Window Tester