i18n and WindowTester

WindowTester allows you to easily create and run unit tests for every GUI they build. It can also be used to generate system level tests.

Moderators: gnebling, Eric Clayberg, Dan Rubel, keertip, Phil Quitslund

i18n and WindowTester

Postby Pfeifer Peter » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:52 pm

Hello there.

I'm trying WindowTester for 3 days now and I love it. Although there is something that concerns me a little bit. How is WindowTester coping with RCP applications started with different locales? Eg. English, German and French? Since the test cases are recorded with the help of the caption of the Shell and so on, these values obviously will change when using different locales.

Is there a way to record a test case just once and then use if for every desired locale?

regards, peter
Pfeifer Peter

Re: i18n and WindowTester

Postby Phil Quitslund » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:59 am

Hello Peter,

We leave internationalization to the eclipse tooling. As a general rule, we have found it is good for people to treat generated tests the same as they treat hand-written ones and so should use the same coding standards, etc. Since there are multiple ways to handle internationalization, we thought it better to leave this to the developer rather than bake it in (in case we broke some of their assumptions). That said, a common practice is to externalize strings generated in tests using the standard "Externalize Strings" wizard. Is this the appropriate approach for you? Would it be an improvement if our code generation optionally triggered this wizard?
--
Phil Quitslund
Software Engineer
Google, Inc.
Phil Quitslund

Return to Window Tester