Missing actions and text input in recording

WindowTester allows you to easily create and run unit tests for every GUI they build. It can also be used to generate system level tests.

Moderators: gnebling, Eric Clayberg, Dan Rubel, keertip, Phil Quitslund

Missing actions and text input in recording

Postby brs » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:32 am

Hello everybody.

In my plugin under test I have my own wizard, which contains a number of fields (text fields, pulldowns, etc.) which are themselves SWT elements, but embedded in our own components, which in turn extend the SWT Composite class and which utilise the JFace viewer mechanism.

When I record a test against this wizard, all my focussing and typing actions into specific fields are completely lost. They do not appear in the test case, nor are any warnings or exceptions produced. The only actions that are present in the test case are the initial invokation of the wizard and the pressing of the Finish button.

If I record a test against a plain Eclipse wizard, things seem to be working ok.

Any idea of I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
B.
brs

Postby Phil Quitslund » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:39 am

Our recorder needs to specially handle controls that consume UI events (such as clicks and key strokes) rather than pass them to the active Display. My guess is that something in your component is stopping the events from making back to the display and we are not special casing your custome Composite subclass, Cold you open a ticket with support describing your wizard and perhaps sending a screenshot?

wintest-support@instantiations.com

It would also be helpful for us to know more about your custom classes. Are they just subclasses of Composite? Are there more?

Thanks!
--
Phil Quitslund
Software Engineer
Google, Inc.
Phil Quitslund

Postby brs » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:28 pm

Hi Phil.

I am working towards putting together something to clarify the problem and hopefully give you the information you need.

In the meantime however I am wondering if you could spend a few more words on your statement "Our recorder needs to specially handle controls that consume UI events": what do you mean by "specially handle"? Can you give me examples of components that require this treatment? This could definitely help in shedding some light on the whole problem.

Thanks,
B.
brs

Postby Phil Quitslund » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:51 pm

In a nutshell, controls generally consume events which means that if you add a listener to the Display, you won't see them. As an example, take the Tree widget. In order to get the selection events you need to register a special listener on it. We handle many cases in the recorder but it looks like our logic is not fully handling your use case. That said, with a little help from you we might be able to fix it!
--
Phil Quitslund
Software Engineer
Google, Inc.
Phil Quitslund

Postby brs » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:21 am

Phil,

Thanks for your explanation.

As you suggested, I have opened a ticket against this problem and I have attached code that demonstrates it. Looking forward to learning where the issue lies!...

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thank you very much,
B.
brs

Postby Phil Quitslund » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:08 am

Perfect.

We'll follow up there!
--
Phil Quitslund
Software Engineer
Google, Inc.
Phil Quitslund

Return to Window Tester