No control box when recording against Eclipse plugin

WindowTester allows you to easily create and run unit tests for every GUI they build. It can also be used to generate system level tests.

Moderators: gnebling, Eric Clayberg, Dan Rubel, keertip, Phil Quitslund

No control box when recording against Eclipse plugin

Postby brs » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:21 am

Hello.

I have started an evaluation of WindowTester today. I have created a very simple SWT application using one of the canned templates from Eclipse (a simple text editor) and, when I start the recording of a test, all appears well (i.e. the application starts up and the recording control box appears on the screen).

When, however, I start the recording of my own application, which is an Eclipse plugin and therefore is lauched as an Eclipse application, the separate Eclipse instance is launched correctly but the recording control box does not show up. No exceptions are generated anywhere.

Help?

TIA,
B.
Last edited by brs on Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
brs

Postby gnebling » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:14 am

In your recording configuration's Plug-ins tab make sure to select "Launch with all workspace and enabled external plug-ins".

Let me know if that does not help.
gnebling

Postby brs » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:03 am

Hi Gnebling (:-),

Thanks, tried that and yes it does work, but....

Having to have my full deveploment environment included in the tests pollutes the test. A basic best practice of testing it to recreate the runtime environment as close as possible. The world is less than perfect and I am well aware that we sometimes fall short on this goal. However, to have to include every last external plugin and the kitchen sink is rather a rough approach; is it not? Surely there is a definable minimal set of resources that Window Tester requires to successfully launch. Would it be possible for you to provide that information?

Thanks,
B.
brs

Postby gnebling » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:36 pm

Absolutely right.

Include the following and click on the Add Required Plug-ins button.

com.windowtester.runtime
com.windowtester.swing.recorder
com.windowtester.swing.runtime
com.windowtester.swt.recorder
com.windowtester.swt.runtime
gnebling

Postby brs » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:33 am

Tested and it works, thank you very much.

I actually just saw the list of required plugins being mentioned in the FAQ... :oops: Sorry about not noticing it before!

Cheeerio,
B.
brs

Return to Window Tester