custom layout manager

Swing Designer allows you to quickly create the frames, panels, dialogs, applets and other UI elements that comprise Java Swing applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

custom layout manager

Postby wolfgang » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:36 am

I have a layout manager which realizes absolute positioning and custom widget sizes. This layout manager doesn't use setBounds() but a Constraints object. At the moment I'm not able to add/modify/move beans in a container with my layout manager. Is there a way to configure swing designer for using my layout manager correctly (there should be one since custom layout managers are supported) ?

tia
wolfgang
wolfgang

Re: custom layout manager

Postby Eric Clayberg » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:40 pm

wolfgang wrote:I have a layout manager which realizes absolute positioning and custom widget sizes. This layout manager doesn't use setBounds() but a Constraints object. At the moment I'm not able to add/modify/move beans in a container with my layout manager. Is there a way to configure swing designer for using my layout manager correctly

No, and I am not aware of any GUI builders that will allow that. Java does not define any design-time / bean info for layout managers that can be used to automatically integrate a custom layout manager into a GUI builder. Layout managers need to be individually intergated into every GUI builder and layout manager specific design time behavior needs to be created (not an easy task).

wolfgang wrote:there should be one since custom layout managers are supported?

Custom layout manager are "supported" in the sense that Designer can render the widgets in the correct location in the window. You can then click on those widgets and edit their properties. Depending on the properties defined by the custom layout manager's constraints, you may be able to edit those values as well in the property pane.

What you won't get is any design time behvior allowing you to graphically add/modify/move beans within the design view.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to Swing Designer