Drag & drop component working intermittently

Swing Designer allows you to quickly create the frames, panels, dialogs, applets and other UI elements that comprise Java Swing applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Drag & drop component working intermittently

Postby albertkao » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:10 am

What is the proper way to add component (e.g. JButton, JTable) to my JFrame in Design window?
I try to select the component by left clicking the icon.
Then drag & drop the icon to my JFrame drawing.
Sometimes the component can be added, sometimes the component cannot be added.
Do I miss any step or the software has a bug?
Please help.

Software versions are:
Swing Designer 8.1.1.r36x201012170656 com.instantiations.designer.swing.feature.feature.group
WindowBuilder Common UI Support 8.1.1.r36x201012161226 com.instantiations.eclipse.ui.feature.group
WindowBuilder Core 8.1.1.r36x201012161236 com.instantiations.designer.core.ui.feature.feature.group
Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers 1.3.1.20100916-1202 epp.package.jee
java version "1.6.0_24"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_24-b07)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.1-b02, mixed mode)
Windows 7 Home Premimum.
albertkao

Re: Drag & drop component working intermittently

Postby Eric Clayberg » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:18 am

That operation works fine for us and has always worked fine. We have not had any reports of issues with it either.

Just to be clear, you don't drag/drop from the palette. The palette works like other Java GUI builders and like any drawing program. You select a widget in the palette and then click in the design view where you want to place it. The placement behavior is dependent on the layout manager used...many of which enforce various constraints. In some layouts such as Absolute, you can click and drag in the design area to both place a widget and size it at the same time.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to Swing Designer