Designer Preferences stuck at always supressing snap points

Swing Designer allows you to quickly create the frames, panels, dialogs, applets and other UI elements that comprise Java Swing applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Designer Preferences stuck at always supressing snap points

Postby theschles » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:47 pm

I just upgraded to the Feb 25, 2005 build of Swing Designer (including deleting the configuration directory).

I lost the snap points, so I went into Designer Preferences, changed Snap Points Supressed from "Always" to "When Ctrl Key Pressed", clicked Apply, and clicked OK.

No snap points.

So I went back into Designer Preferences. It was set to Snap Points Supressed "Always". Tried changing it again.

No snap points still.

I tried changing another option (the Canvas). That took, but I still cannot force it to change suppression of snap points to anything other than Always.

I even tried closing open all files and making the change. No dice.

I even tried re-deleting the configuration directory. No dice.

Help!!!!
theschles

Re: Designer Preferences stuck at always supressing snap poi

Postby Eric Clayberg » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:31 am

theschles wrote:I just upgraded to the Feb 25, 2005 build of Swing Designer (including deleting the configuration directory).

I lost the snap points, so I went into Designer Preferences, changed Snap Points Supressed from "Always" to "When Ctrl Key Pressed", clicked Apply, and clicked OK.

No snap points.

So I went back into Designer Preferences. It was set to Snap Points Supressed "Always". Tried changing it again.

No snap points still.

I tried changing another option (the Canvas). That took, but I still cannot force it to change suppression of snap points to anything other than Always.

I could not reproduce this. If you go to the Designer > Swing > SpringLayout pref page and click Restore Defaults, does that have any effect? What is your Snap points > Sensitivity set to?

You might try deleting the following file...

<workspace>\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.runtime\.settings\com.swtdesigner.prefs
Maybe that file got marked read-only for some reason.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby theschles » Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:22 pm

Eric Clayberg wrote:
theschles wrote:I just upgraded to the Feb 25, 2005 build of Swing Designer (including deleting the configuration directory).

No snap points.

No snap points still.

I could not reproduce this. If you go to the Designer > Swing > SpringLayout pref page and click Restore Defaults, does that have any effect? What is your Snap points > Sensitivity set to?

You might try deleting the following file...

<workspace>\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.runtime\.settings\com.swtdesigner.prefs
Maybe that file got marked read-only for some reason.

Hi Eric. I'm now running the Feb 27, 2005 version now.

Tried deleting the prefs file. Restore Defaults will now move the setting back to Unless Ctrl Key Pressed, but if I click Apply and OK and then go back into Preferences, it's back to Always (when I first emailed you, Restore Preferences set it to Always).

Here's the prefs file right now:
#Sun Feb 27 17:16:03 PST 2005
eclipse.preferences.version=1
DESIGNER_EDITOR_CANVAS_POSITION=1
<current\ platform>=<current platform>,null,null

The CANVAS_POSITION entry appears only after I set that setting in the Preferences dialog.

Ideas? - Phil
theschles

Postby Eric Clayberg » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:03 am

theschles wrote:Tried deleting the prefs file. Restore Defaults will now move the setting back to Unless Ctrl Key Pressed, but if I click Apply and OK and then go back into Preferences, it's back to Always (when I first emailed you, Restore Preferences set it to Always).

The CANVAS_POSITION entry appears only after I set that setting in the Preferences dialog.

If you set other prefs, do they show up properly in the prefs file?

Can you send us a scren shot of Designer ? Swing > SpringLayout pref page as well as the Designer > License pref page?

Try adding the following line to the pref file and restarting Eclipse...

P_SPRING_LAYOUT_MODE=0
Try different values (0, 1, 2, 3). Do they have any effect when after you start up Eclipse?
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby theschles » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:46 pm

Eric Clayberg wrote:
theschles wrote:Tried deleting the prefs file. Restore Defaults will now move the setting back to Unless Ctrl Key Pressed, but if I click Apply and OK and then go back into Preferences, it's back to Always (when I first emailed you, Restore Preferences set it to Always).

If you set other prefs, do they show up properly in the prefs file?

Can you send us a scren shot of Designer ? Swing > SpringLayout pref page as well as the Designer > License pref page?

Try adding the following line to the pref file and restarting Eclipse...

P_SPRING_LAYOUT_MODE=0
Try different values (0, 1, 2, 3). Do they have any effect when after you start up Eclipse?

Dear Eric,

Screenshots you requested in a separate email to support@swt-designer.com titled "Re: Designer Preferences stuck at always supressing snap poi"

Here's what happened when I changed some of the other values in the SpringLayout Prefs:

#Mon Feb 28 14:37:44 PST 2005
P_SPRING_LAYOUT_SNAP_SENSITIVITY=10
P_SPRING_LAYOUT_WIDGET_V_STEP=10
P_SPRING_LAYOUT_V_MARGIN=10
P_SPRING_LAYOUT_WIDGET_H_STEP=10
P_SPRING_LAYOUT_H_MARGIN=10
P_SPRING_LAYOUT_MODE=3

Setting P_SPRINT_LAYOUT_MODE to 0, 1, 2, or 3 doesn't make a difference when it comes to the SpringLayout grid lines setting - it still sets itself back to Always, even if I select Unless Ctrl Key is Pressed...

Then, when I change the setting to "Unless Ctrl Key is Pressed", this is the result:

#Mon Feb 28 19:44:23 PST 2005
P_SPRING_LAYOUT_WIDGET_V_STEP=10
P_SPRING_LAYOUT_SNAP_SENSITIVITY=10
P_SPRING_LAYOUT_V_MARGIN=10
P_SPRING_LAYOUT_WIDGET_H_STEP=10
P_SPRING_LAYOUT_H_MARGIN=10

Help?
theschles

Return to Swing Designer