New layout managers??

Swing Designer allows you to quickly create the frames, panels, dialogs, applets and other UI elements that comprise Java Swing applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

New layout managers??

Postby mimmoz81 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:53 pm

Hello, i'm new to both this forum and WindowBuilder.

I use WindowBuilder Pro 7.5 and its Swing Designer, in Windows XP SP3, Eclipse 3.5.1.

I would like to add a new layout manager and use it, like com.cloudgarden.layout.AnchorLayout

Is it possible to do this?
In alternative, is there another layout manager in WindowBuilder that has the same features of AnchorLayout?

Thanks
Luca
mimmoz81

Re: New layout managers??

Postby Konstantin.Scheglov » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:09 am

mimmoz81 wrote:Hello, i'm new to both this forum and WindowBuilder.

I use WindowBuilder Pro 7.5 and its Swing Designer, in Windows XP SP3, Eclipse 3.5.1.

I would like to add a new layout manager and use it, like com.cloudgarden.layout.AnchorLayout

Is it possible to do this?

Swing Designer can render this layout.
But it is some custom layout, so Swing Designer does not know how to edit it, so you will need to do this manually.

If you want, you can add support for it yourself by writing extension for Swing Designer (additional plugin), in same way as we written support for JGoodies FormLayout and also for MigLayout.

mimmoz81 wrote:In alternative, is there another layout manager in WindowBuilder that has the same features of AnchorLayout?

I suggest you rethink your approach to writing layouts and use some grid-based layout.

Most universal of them is of course MigLayout. We support most of its grid features for visual editing and for rest features you can use dialogs for changing constraints.

Less universal is JGoodies FormLayout, also grid based.

Nearest to AnchorLayout, but most complex and cumbersome is GroupLayout, is also absolute based and has concept of anchoring to sides of parent container.
Konstantin.Scheglov

Return to Swing Designer