Out of memory...

Swing Designer allows you to quickly create the frames, panels, dialogs, applets and other UI elements that comprise Java Swing applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Out of memory...

Postby ncister » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:22 am

Hi,

... sorry for my "presence" but i must choose a definitive Gui designer and i'm hardly testing many eclipse plugins ... including, of course (and specially) WindowBuilder :) .....

I've experienced an "out of memory" error during a complex (over 100 JTextFields) swing form editing.
Though, before error, working with copy & past function on groups of components, CPU always go to 100% .......
I've also noticed that the designer gradually decrease your performance when user add components ..... while, resetting the workbench (restarting Eclipse), performance seems resetted (all works quite fine).
Your designer is really **wonderful** (i can compare it with MS Visual Studio.NET that i'm using since first beta release) ..... but i require that it works fine (and quickly) in critical scenarios too .....

Now, is it required a specific workbench heap size to run WindowBuilder plugin ?
What's the best setup to work without problems on complex forms ?
Any suggestions ?

Thanks.
Nicola.

P.S.
============================
This is my setup:
- WindowsXP (sp2)
- Intel Centrino 1.6 GHz (Ram: 512)
- Eclipse 3.0.1
- WindowBuilder 3.0.1 - 2005.01.09
ncister

Re: Out of memory...

Postby Eric Clayberg » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:30 pm

ncister wrote:I've experienced an "out of memory" error during a complex (over 100 JTextFields) swing form editing.

How much memory do you have assigned to Eclipse (e.g., what are your startup parameters)?

What version of Eclipse are you using? What version (and build) or Designer are you using?

ncister wrote:Though, before error, working with copy & past function on groups of components, CPU always go to 100%.

If you were copying and pasting a lot of controls, I would expect the CPU to go to 100% temporarily.

ncister wrote:Now, is it required a specific workbench heap size to run WindowBuilder plugin ?

Nothing in particular. The defaults that Eclipse uses are generally too low for doing any serious work with any additional plugins, so you should raise them.

See the note on Improving Eclipse Memory Usage.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby ncister » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:55 am

Hi Eric, and thanks for replay ....

I've attached the global setup in my previous posting .....
Though i've applied your suggestions about eclipse assigned memory (now i'm running eclipse using: -vmargs -Xms128m -Xmx384m) and it seems works very very better ! ....

Thanks.
Nicola.
ncister

Return to Swing Designer