npe with cvs-history

Swing Designer allows you to quickly create the frames, panels, dialogs, applets and other UI elements that comprise Java Swing applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

npe with cvs-history

Postby mkornatzki » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:51 am

hi,

if i want to see an old version in our cvs repository and make a left click on an entry in the history-view i get a NullpointerException.

Code: Select all
org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableError: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.instantiations.designer.core.utils.execution.ExecutionUtils.runRethrow(ExecutionUtils.java:66)
        at com.instantiations.designer.core.editor.DesignPage.initialize(DesignPage.java:93)
        at com.instantiations.designer.core.editor.multi.MultiMode.create(MultiMode.java:75)
        at com.instantiations.designer.core.editor.multi.MultiPagesMode.create(MultiPagesMode.java:70)
        at com.instantiations.designer.core.editor.multi.MultiPageEditor.createPartControl(MultiPageEditor.java:66)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPartHelper(EditorReference.java:662)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPart(EditorReference.java:462)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(WorkbenchPartReference.java:595)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.getEditor(EditorReference.java:286)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditorBatched(WorkbenchPage.java:2857)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2762)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.access$11(WorkbenchPage.java:2754)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$10.run(WorkbenchPage.java:2705)
        at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:70)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2701)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2685)
        at org.eclipse.team.internal.ui.actions.OpenWithMenu.openEditor(OpenWithMenu.java:353)
        at org.eclipse.team.internal.ui.actions.OpenWithMenu$2.handleEvent(OpenWithMenu.java:171)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1003)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3880)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3473)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2405)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2369)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2221)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:500)
        at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:493)
        at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:113)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:194)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:368)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:559)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:514)
        at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1311)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.instantiations.designer.core.editor.UndoManager.<init>(UndoManager.java:61)
        at com.instantiations.designer.core.editor.DesignPage$2.run(DesignPage.java:96)
        at com.instantiations.designer.core.utils.execution.ExecutionUtils.runRethrow(ExecutionUtils.java:64)
        ... 41 more

regards,
michael
mkornatzki

Re: npe with cvs-history

Postby Eric Clayberg » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:55 am

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do here or how to reproduce it.

I have used CVS for many years and have never had any problem left-clicking on versions in the history view.

Can you provide some screen shots as well as your complete Eclipse".log" file?
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby mkornatzki » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:42 pm

i was trying to get an answer why my colleagues and i get nullpointerexceptions when we left click on an old version in cvs history.
if i make a right click and choose open with Javaeditor everything is ok. If i select open with WindowBuilder nothing happens.

here is a screenshot of the history-view

and the logfile is attached.

i guess it is a problem that you can not reproduce the error but maybe you have an idea why this error occurs.
if you need more files please let me know.

some information about the system:
Windwos XP SP3
Eclipse 3.5.0
Java 6u6
WindowBuilder 7.2.0r35200912010511

regards,
michael
Attachments
.log
(18.69 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
mkornatzki

Postby Eric Clayberg » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:00 am

The WindowBuilder editor can only be used to edit actual Eclipse compilation units. It can't be used to edit items currently located in your CVS history (you would need to actually load that revision before it would be editable).

In the latest build, we have added a check that should prevent this.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby mkornatzki » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:24 am

thank you.
now i can left click on the history and get the source and no npe :)

regards,
michael
mkornatzki

Postby Eric Clayberg » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:06 am

Good. I'm glad it's now working for you.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Return to Swing Designer