Controling the properties name

Swing Designer allows you to quickly create the frames, panels, dialogs, applets and other UI elements that comprise Java Swing applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Controling the properties name

Postby fredatwork » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:32 am

Hello,

I'm evaluating the Swing Designer capabilities at I18n management and string externalization.

I trained myself with the string externalization demo provided bythe Instantiations web site and built a small example I played with.

However, I realize there is no way to control the resource bundle key name used by the Designer when you actually externalized strings. The key names are contructed by the Designer and cannot be changed by the user.

The only wan to change the bundle keys is to edit the generated java code change the arguments of class to getString() methods and modify the properties file for a changed key name. That is not really helpful.

DId I understand this right ? If yes, it would be nice if a future version of the Designer could let the developer choose its own bundle key names.

Thanks in advance for your help controling bundle key names.
Fred
fredatwork

Re: Controling the properties name

Postby Eric Clayberg » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:21 pm

fredatwork wrote:I'm evaluating the Swing Designer capabilities at I18n management and string externalization. I trained myself with the string externalization demo provided bythe Instantiations web site and built a small example I played with. However, I realize there is no way to control the resource bundle key name used by the Designer when you actually externalized strings. The key names are contructed by the Designer and cannot be changed by the user. The only wan to change the bundle keys is to edit the generated java code change the arguments of class to getString() methods and modify the properties file for a changed key name. That is not really helpful. DId I understand this right ? If yes, it would be nice if a future version of the Designer could let the developer choose its own bundle key names.

Great idea. In fact, this is now available in the latest v2.1.1 build. ;-)
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to Swing Designer