MigLayout feature coverage

Swing Designer allows you to quickly create the frames, panels, dialogs, applets and other UI elements that comprise Java Swing applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

MigLayout feature coverage

Postby zartc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:10 am

Hi,

In this post: http://www.instantiations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2529&hilit=miglayout#p9817, I have noticed the following statement:
This release [v7.0 beta] includes full support for MiGLayout as well as UI Factories.

IMHO Swing Designer does NOT includes full support for MigLayout as you boldly advertise.
It is missing numerous feature of the MigLayout.

To cite some of them:
  • The ability to specify docked components.
  • The ability to specify panel insets.
  • The ability to specify grid gap (i.e. inter column and inter row gap).
  • The ability to split a cell in two or more (without introducing another column, using the 'slip n' component constraints).
  • The ability to specify components gap within there own cell.
  • The ability to specify component's min/pref/max size and grow/shrink/fill using component constraints (i.e. not column or row constraints).
  • The possibility to generate code that is not using the Absolute Cell Coordinate (i.e. cell x y).
  • The ability to set the auto-wrap mode on the layout and add the 'wrap' and 'newline' constraints to individual component.
  • The ability to set debug mode, nogrid mode, visual-padding mode, cache mode, hide mode, flowy...
  • The ability to specify sizegroup/endgroup.
  • The ability to specify meta-data tag on a component: 'ok', 'cancel', 'help', 'help2', 'yes', 'no', 'apply', 'next', 'back', 'finished', 'left', 'right'.
  • The ability to use platform independent unit value: 'related', 'unrelated', 'paragraph', 'indent', 'button'.

As you can see support for MigLayout is far from complete.
I hope it will ameliorate in further versions (alas nothing changed in v7.1).
Can we expect a better coverage of MigLayout in next revisions ?

ZC.
zartc

Re: MigLayout feature coverage

Postby Eric Clayberg » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:24 am

zartc wrote:IMHO Swing Designer does NOT includes full support for MigLayout as you boldly advertise.

We stand by that statement and believe that we provide full round-trip editing and rendering support for MiGLayout. All MiGLayout features should parse and render properly in the design view, and we provide graphical and property pane support for all of the significant MiGLayout features. For the more esoteric MiGLayout feature, you can either set them via editing the constraints in the property pane or in the source view. Any changes you make in the property pane or source view should be properly reflected in the design view. Could we provide graphical support and/or better property pane/dialog support for some of the lesser MiGLayout features? Sure. That is a far cry from not supporting them at all which is what you seem to imply. As to those lesser / esoteric features, we will take those requests on a case-by-case basis. We have several hundred users actively using MiGLayout right now, and have had very few requests for enhancement.

Now to address some of your specific complaints...

zartc wrote:The ability to specify docked components.

Here is some code taken almost verbatim from the MiGLayout docs...

Code: Select all
      contentPane.add(comp1);
      contentPane.add(comp2);
      contentPane.add(comp3, "wrap"); // Wrap to next row
      contentPane.add(comp4);
      contentPane.add(comp1N, "dock north");
      contentPane.add(comp2W, "dock west");
      contentPane.add(comp3S, "dock south");
      contentPane.add(comp4E, "east"); // "dock" keyword are actually optional

...and here is how it renders in Swing Designer (with an added panel inset)...

You can specify the dock constraints in the source view (or in the property pane if you are using the latest Swing Designer build)...

Image Image

zartc wrote:The ability to specify panel insets.

Easily done by specifying a layoutConstraint in the property pane...

Image Image

zartc wrote:The ability to specify grid gap (i.e. inter column and inter row gap).

You can do this by editing the Specification in the Column or Row Properties dialog...

Image Image

zartc wrote:The ability to split a cell in two or more (without introducing another column, using the 'slip n' component constraints).

This is easily done graphically in the design view...

Image Image

zartc wrote:The ability to use platform independent unit value: 'related', 'unrelated', 'paragraph', 'indent', 'button'.

You can use any unit values that you want in the above Properties dialogs or anywhere you can directly edit the Specification (Column, Row or Cell).

zartc wrote:The ability to specify components gap within there own cell.
The ability to specify component's min/pref/max size and grow/shrink/fill using component constraints (i.e. not column or row constraints).
The ability to specify meta-data tag on a component: 'ok', 'cancel', 'help', 'help2', 'yes', 'no', 'apply', 'next', 'back', 'finished', 'left', 'right'.
The ability to set the auto-wrap mode on the layout and add the 'wrap' and 'newline' constraints to individual component.
The ability to set debug mode, nogrid mode, visual-padding mode, cache mode, hide mode, flowy...
The ability to specify sizegroup/endgroup.

You can specify any arbitrary constraints that you want in the source view or in the property pane / property dialog. Swing Designer should properly parse and render all of them. Could we add better graphical and property support for some of these? Sure. Up until this point, no one has asked for any of these features to be handled in a nicer manner. The fact that the tool does allow you to specify them (and will render them properly if used) seems to have been sufficient for most users so far.

zartc wrote:The possibility to generate code that is not using the Absolute Cell Coordinate (i.e. cell x y).

While it is true that Swing Designer generates cell-based code, it will parse and render any style that you happen to use. The style of code it generates is purely aesthetic/cosmetic and should not affect the accuracy of the UI when executed. We could certainly add a preference to generate flow-based constraints in the future and allow you to toggle between them. While we have chosen (so far) to generate one specific style, we do parse and render all of them, so the tool should work with almost any hand-written or generated MiGLayout code that you run across (as shown above in the example taken from the MiGLayout docs).

zartc wrote:As you can see support for MigLayout is far from complete

As shown above, support for MiGLayout is far more complete than might be apparent at first glance.

zartc wrote:Can we expect a better coverage of MigLayout in next revisions ?

We are constantly enhancing the product on all fronts, and we give great consideration to feature requests made by our customers (as many folks in this forum can surely attest).
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Postby zartc » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:35 pm

:arrow: SwingDesignerPro-02229-xxxx
zartc

Postby Eric Clayberg » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:05 pm

zartc wrote::arrow: SwingDesignerPro-02229-xxxx

Purchased today. Thank you. I will now edit my prior post.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg

Postby tweaksource » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:38 pm

I just wanted to thank you for supporting MigLayout and to commend you on an excellent and thorough response to the OP.

Your hard work is appreciated.
tweaksource

Postby Eric Clayberg » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:31 am

Thanks.
Eric Clayberg
Google

Eric Clayberg