Tooltip Editing Feature Request

Swing Designer allows you to quickly create the frames, panels, dialogs, applets and other UI elements that comprise Java Swing applications.

Moderators: Konstantin.Scheglov, gnebling, Alexander.Mitin, jwren, Eric Clayberg

Tooltip Editing Feature Request

Postby sreed » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:44 am

It would be a benefit to me and my team to have a tooltip editor that allowed a writer (non-programmer) to set tooltip text from a running application. Running the application in "tooltip editing mode," the writer sets the mouse over a control and enters a special key combination to pop up a simple tooltip editor which has a field for the tooltip title (HTML bold text) and a text area for the text. The HTML text would go into a resource file to enable easy localization and to eliminate the need to modify the code (the code already having been instrumented to load tooltips from the resource file if they have been specified). I roughly see how it could be done but will leave to you Instantiations wizards to figure the rest out.
sreed

Re: Tooltip Editing Feature Request

Postby Eric Clayberg » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:25 am

sreed wrote:It would be a benefit to me and my team to have a tooltip editor that allowed a writer (non-programmer) to set tooltip text from a running application. Running the application in "tooltip editing mode," the writer sets the mouse over a control and enters a special key combination to pop up a simple tooltip editor which has a field for the tooltip title (HTML bold text) and a text area for the text. The HTML text would go into a resource file to enable easy localization and to eliminate the need to modify the code (the code already having been instrumented to load tooltips from the resource file if they have been specified). I roughly see how it could be done but will leave to you Instantiations wizards to figure the rest out.

If you want to do this in an actual runnng application, it seems to be outside the scope of what Swing Designer can help you with.

That said, we do have some very knowledgeable Swing developers who might be able to build something like that for you.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to Swing Designer