Problem Using Compare Tool

Tell us what you think about our book and report any errata. Sample chapters are available at http://www.qualityeclipse.com/

(Note: Previous Editions were called "Eclipse: Building Commercial Quality Plugins")

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, Dan Rubel

Problem Using Compare Tool

Postby dextercowley » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:26 pm

Hi. I'm starting with the book, using Eclipse 3.3, and I'm trying to use the 3.3 zip file.

First, I created the new project as directed in chapter 2, using the name "com.qualityeclipse.favorites".

Then, I downloaded the file "zip install for Eclipse 3.3" and installed the plugins. I then can see the two new views "Part Info View" and "QualityEclipse Book Sample". However, when I import the Chapter 2 Simple Plugin, it appears to delete the contents of my previously-created "com.qualityeclipse.favorites" project during the import. I end up with an empty "com.qualityeclipse.favorites" project and a "com.qualityeclipse.favorites.test" project with errors.

Did I miss something in the instructions? Should I call my project by a different name to avoid this conflict? Thanks for your help. Mark Dexter
dextercowley

Re: Problem Using Compare Tool

Postby Dan Rubel » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:08 am

I'm wondering if the import process failed because some exception occurred. Is there anything in your log indicating a problem? Try deleting the project and then importing it again from the samples.
Dan Rubel

Postby dextercowley » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:06 pm

Hi Dan. Thanks for your help with this.

If I import Chapter 2 Simple Plugin into an empty workspace, then it appears to work. However, if I have created the projects of the same names, according to the instructions in the book, then when I import it appears to delete the contents of both projects.

I'm guessing that the problem is that the project names are the same in the Chapter 2 import file and in my workspace. I'm not sure how this is supposed to work. Are the project names I created and the ones in the Chapter 2 Simple Plugin supposed to be the same? (com.qualityeclipse.favorites and com.qualityeclipse.favorites.test)? Or should I create my projects with a different name?

Thanks again for your help. Mark
dextercowley

Postby dextercowley » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:24 pm

I renamed the two projects that I created manually (i.e., from the book) and then re-imported from the Chapter 2 Simple Plugin, and now it works fine. So it might be good to let users know that they need to rename their projects before imorting from the 3.3 zip file. (Unless, of course, I have missed something here.) Thanks. Mark
dextercowley

Postby Dan Rubel » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:15 pm

Thanks for pointing this out along with your findings. I tracked it down and fixed the problem in the import operation. In addition, the import operation now includes the names of the projects to be deleted when prompting the user during the import operation. These changes will be part of the new book samples available around the time of EclipseCon.
Dan Rubel

Return to Book: Eclipse Plug-Ins (3rd Edition)