Splash Screen - dialog directory in samples

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Splash Screen - dialog directory in samples

Postby tstalzer » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:32 am

I think creating this forum is a very good idea - Congratulations

Now, for my first post

I actually liked the "old" idea of compiling a Splash Bitmap into a custom abt.exe (or whatever.exe). I know, it is more convenient now with just including the bitmap with the same filename and it will be used as the splash bitmap.

However, I like the idea of putting things like the copyright notice into the splashscreen of packaged applications.

In the version 6, the samples directory included the dialog directory with the sources to main.c and the possibility of compiling a custom .exe.

When we were still using VA 6, we modified the code in the main.c program to include the "old" behaviour of compiling the bitmap into the .exe

For the upcoming 7.0.1 could you include the dialog directory again?

-- Thomas
tstalzer
[|]

Re: Splash Screen - dialog directory in samples

Postby wembley » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:04 am

Thomas -

Actually you couldn't recompile abt.exe in VAST 6.0 (or even VAST 5.5) to build-in a splash screen. Making the source for abt.exe available now wouldn't really help you since all the code that supported reading a bitmap from the executable was removed when we added the support for reading the bitmap from a file.

Now I will suggest a theoretical solution (theoretical because I don't work for Instantiations and so I can't make any commitments on their behalf). The source code used to build abt.exe could be modified to support using a bitmap built into the executable IF a bitmap file named the same as the executable is not found. If this change was made, Instantiations would not need to ship the source code -- -you could replace the splash in the executable using ResHacker (or a similar tool) just like you can replace the executable's icon. Would this satisfy your need?
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby tstalzer » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:20 am

Hi John

nice to hear from you

actually what we did with the version 6 was to include code to read a bitmap from the resource definition and display it......

Your suggestion would work perfectly. I just don't want to include a bitmap file with the same name as the .exe as all our "creative" customers would change it.

Best regards

--Thomas
tstalzer
[|]

Postby Eric Clayberg » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:28 am

tstalzer wrote:Your suggestion would work perfectly.

I agree. We'll look into getting that in place some time soon.
Eric Clayberg
Software Engineering Manager
Google
http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/download.html

Author: "Eclipse Plug-ins"
http://www.qualityeclipse.com
Eric Clayberg

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0