RMI Stub generation | Java <=> Smalltalk

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

RMI Stub generation | Java <=> Smalltalk

Postby jackharbringer » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:48 am

Hi All,

We have a Java client that communicates with our Smalltalk Server over RMI. At the moment we are still developing the client in Visual Age for Java.

One thing keeping us from switching the client development over to Eclipse and a (much) newer Java Version is the question of how to generate the RMI Stubs in Java and Smalltalk when we want to expand or change our interface. Visual Age for Java/Smalltalk have a nice little tool for that.

Does anyone know of or have experience with an equivilant tool for Eclipse and VA Smalltalk? I'm afraid I haven't been very successful so far in my online-search.

Thanks,
John
John M. Hutchison
Die Mobiliar Versicherungen
jackharbringer

Re: RMI Stub generation | Java <=> Smalltalk

Postby tstalzer » Mon May 02, 2011 10:33 pm

Hi John

We have a facade framework for accessing Smalltalk objects from Java and Smalltalk clients.
On the Smalltalk side, you may generate Java facades based on the parts definition of the Smalltalk objects. In Java, you work with the facades as with any other object.
If you are interested, I can send you more information
Best regards

Thomas Stalzer
tstalzer
[|]

Re: RMI Stub generation | Java <=> Smalltalk

Postby jackharbringer » Wed May 11, 2011 11:14 pm

Hi Thomas

Thanks for the reply. We would definitely be interested in hearing more, that's pretty much what we're looking for.
I assume this is something you implemented yourself?

Cheers,
John
John M. Hutchison
Die Mobiliar Versicherungen
jackharbringer

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0