Color Syntax in Tabbed Browsers

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Color Syntax in Tabbed Browsers

Postby g.cotelli » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi,
I noticed the following behavior in browsers:
  • The background color selected in the VA Assist Pro Setup (Color Syntax tab) is set only as the background color of the text in the code pane (the rest of the background (in the same pane) is the standard yellow background). This is very annoying if you are trying to use a dark background becasue there's part of the code pane in several colors (I think this could be solved changing addSourceCodeTextPane in the several browsers to use as backgroundColor: the one configured in Color Syntax )
  • There's also a problem with the syntax coloring in the class definition tab. When you open the class browser for the first time the class definition is colored according to the configuration, but if you switch to Method source tab and later return to Class Definition tab the syntax coloring for class definition is lost
  • This is just a nice to have :D : In the comment and notes tab would be good if the text could be colored according to 'CommentColorNode' configured in the Color Scheme for Color Syntax
g.cotelli

Re: Color Syntax in Tabbed Browsers

Postby tc » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:41 pm

The background color . . . is the standard yellow background).

The tabbed browsers on http://www.vastgoodies.com have no color.

if you switch to Method source tab and later return to Class Definition tab the syntax coloring for class definition is lost

I'll look into it.

Thanks.

--tc
tc

Postby tc » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:13 am

Hello,
if you switch to Method source tab and later return to Class Definition tab the syntax coloring for class definition is lost

Please try this change:
Code: Select all
StsTabbedClassesBrowserWin>>#textShowingSource

"Return whether the text pane is showing source."

^(self textSelector = self class methodSourceStringName) |
      (self textSelector = self class sourceStringName) |
         (self textSelector = self class classDefinitionString)

. . . for the CHB. If it works for you then browse implementors of '#textShowingSource' for the tabbed browsers and change it there also. Meanwhile, we'll be adding it as a fix for the next release. However, I'd like your feedback, if this change fixes it.

Thanks for pointing out the issue.

--tc
tc

Postby g.cotelli » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:39 am

The textShowingSource change works Ok for me in VA 8.0.3. I will give a try to Tabbed Browsers in vastgoodies.

Regards,
Gabriel
g.cotelli

Postby tc » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:48 am

Hello,

The textShowingSource change works Ok for me in VA 8.0.3.

:D
I will give a try to Tabbed Browsers in vastgoodies.

I will also put it in the new browsers.

Thanks.

--tc
tc

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0