VAST 8.0.3 - Seaside - Beginners question

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

VAST 8.0.3 - Seaside - Beginners question

Postby ricardovp » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:41 am

Hi Guys.

Someone had already made a post like this one for VAST 8.0.1, but I’ve decide to make a new one for 8.0.3.

I'm starting to play a little with Seaside, so I'm following the “Dynamic Web Development with Seaside” book from seaside site, but that’s pretty hard.

The problem is thar the examples used on the book doesn’t work on this version of VAST (as they didn’t work on the previous ones), when you try to use continuations… I’ve received the following error message:

WAActionCallback>>#evaluateWithArgument:
arg1 = nil
not found while capturing continuation

Could someone help me with that?

Thanks for your patience with a beginner!
ricardovp

Re: VAST 8.0.3 - Seaside - Beginners question

Postby jtuchel » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:10 am

Ricardo,

VAST 8.0.3 does ship with Seaside 3.0.2, but does not support continuations, so there are a few methods in Seaside that won't work. The most prominent one being call:/answer: (unfortunately, call: seems to work initially, but then answer: will fail miserably).
So you need to find a way of not using Continuations (which, btw. is a good idea anyways for most Web applications you want to write these days with all the AJAX bells and whistles).

As a starting point, you can take a look at this blog post: http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com/2010 ... wonanswer/

Please note: The lack of Continuations also means that you cannot use WATask for your control flow. Again, this sounds much worse than it is. You'll probably end up with a master component that swaps its #children based on your application state, just like you'd implement it in a normal GUI program.

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Postby TriSebastian » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:47 am

Hi!

Yes, sad but true, there are no examples or tutorial for VASSmalltalk and Seaside, yet.

You may have a look at VASTGoodies. There are at least two little examples in the Announcements and jQuery Tablesorter maps.

I haven't ported them to VAST 8.0.3, yet, but I'll have this done by the weekend.

Announcements are one more or less easy way to get a little workflow into your application without WATask.
It's not that elegant, but easier than other attempts.

Feel free to mail me if you need some help to get started.

Sebastian
TriSebastian

Postby ricardovp » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:46 am

Hi Guys, thanks for the help!

The post that Joachim mentioned helped me a lot!

Ricardo
ricardovp

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0