load library vast 6.0 error in vast 8.0

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

load library vast 6.0 error in vast 8.0

Postby skydomine » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:57 pm

Dear ALL,

Currently, we're using application which been built in vast 6.0 but after we purchase vast 8.0 , our existing library was not recognize by vast 8.0

Please Help...
skydomine

Re: load library vast 6.0 error in vast 8.0

Postby marten » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:58 am

WHEN was it not recognised ?
During the installation of the new manager part of VA 8.0 ?
On which platform ?
And what was your actually used manager.dat name ?

skydomine wrote:Dear ALL,

Currently, we're using application which been built in vast 6.0 but after we purchase vast 8.0 , our existing library was not recognize by vast 8.0

Please Help...
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Postby skydomine » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:09 am

it happened when we tried to load the MGR0608.DAT. We use vast on windows platform. Thanks for your reply..
skydomine

Postby marten » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:08 am

Well, difficult to say, what happened in your case. If you start an image (VA803 - therefore the client installation process went fine) and you get errors I would think, that the 8.0x code did not make its way into the repository file you would like to work with or the newly image wants to connect to.

During installation of the manager-part of VA the system seems to look for a specific manager.dat filename (mgr80.dat ?) and then import the newly (VA803) code into this already available mgr80.dat (before that you get the question if you have backed up your repository ...). Depending on the first version of VA you have installed on your system I assume that it might look for mgr60.dat or mgr70.dat or as mentioned above: mgr80.dat - but this is just a guess.

I tell you, how I have done it in the past:

* I extracted the new ?.dat from the zipped-file.
* I used my old ?.dat (for example: originated from VAST 601 to include all OS/2 code)
* then I normally import the whole new ?.dat delivered with VAST 803 (the procedure to do that has been recently posted by Joachim Tuchel at http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/use-the-library-importer-tool-to-upgrade-a-va-smalltalk-library/) into my old ?.dat.
* then I change the abt.ini of my newly VA 8.03 to point to my old, but changed ?.dat

skydomine wrote:it happened when we tried to load the MGR0608.DAT. We use vast on windows platform. Thanks for your reply..
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Postby jtuchel » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:24 am

hi,

we need a little more info on what your scenario looks like, and what exactly the error message is that you see.

Have you installed Manager and Library of V8.0.3?
Are both on the same machine?
Do you now have one or two manager files?

What do you mean by "loading mgr0608.dat"? Does your image connect to the new library?
What Image are your starting? the old one or the new one installed with VA 8.0.3?
Does your old image still work?

It is quite likely that a 6.0 image will not work with a blank 8.0.3 image, because new libraries do not ship with (all the) old code of older versions. It is also sure that your new 8.0.3 image will not be happy with an old library in which all the new code has not been imported to.

So please start by telling us what image you are starting and what exact error you get.

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Postby TriSebastian » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:51 am

Hi,

I'm not sure about that, but the others are right. We need a little more information on this.

Did you try the following.

Make a backup of your old mgr.dat.

Then open your new and untouched VASt 8.0 installation.
Logon as Library Supervisor.
Then got to SystemTranscript -> Tools -> System -> Clone Library.
Leave the next popup with an empty String.
Choose in the next Filedialog your old mgr.dat and proceed,... this may take a while. Best if your old mgr.dat doesn't reside on a network folder.

Then after this process ended, you have all the new 8.0 sources in your old mgr.dat.
Close VAST.

Rename the new 8.0 mgr.dat and copy your old one into the same folder. Rename it to mgr80.dat or change your abt.ini to take your old mgr.dat-name.

Now you should be able to connect your VAST80 Client to this mgr.dat and should see your old configurationmaps.

After that you are able to migrate your codeing. Changing, Prerequisites of your configurationmaps, Merge additions, tweaks, fixes,.....

Having done this you should be able to go on developing with VAST 8.0.

Hope this helps
Sebastian
TriSebastian

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0