Changing default NLS settings

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Changing default NLS settings

Postby tstalzer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:23 pm

Hi

I installed our server application on a new server which is running on a Windows 2k8 Server. Unfortunately, the server is configured with US/english as default language, etc. and I am not allowed to change it. However, the application should be using the german Locale for Numeric, Currency and Date presentation.

I added the following code to the .ini file with no change in behaviour regarding NLS presentation. I copied the lines from an "old" project, where we had the same problem, although I am not sure, if we ever solved it (the project got scraped before the deadline...)

Code: Select all
[Locale Overrides]
decimalPoint=,
thousandsSep=.
language=german
territory=germany

These entries have no effect in our application, so my question - Are the definitions correct? (We are using VA/St 8.02)

Thomas
tstalzer
[|]

Re: Changing default NLS settings

Postby marten » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:55 pm

I just looked into the source code and I would say: yes, they are correct. It works at least in the development image and for runtime: well then the application "AbtNlsCfsSupportApp" must be included in your packaged image, which normally is ?!

Marten

tstalzer wrote:These entries have no effect in our application, so my question - Are the definitions correct? (We are using VA/St 8.02)
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Postby tstalzer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:40 am

Hi Marten

We have the AbtNlsKernelApp included in the pre-requisites, which I always thought would have been sufficient as the Locale/AbtLocale code for the actiontable on parsing the .ini is included here.+

I will try with the AbtNlsCfsSupportApp and report here

Thanks for the help

--Thomas
tstalzer
[|]

Postby marten » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:58 am

When starting the an image AbtNlsKernelApp initializes the used Locale class to #Locale (during preStartUp) - you can check this when executing "Locale current" in your development IDE, where you get an instance of Locale.

The class method AbtLocale class>>readLocaleOverrides (AbtLocale is defined in AbtNlsKernelApp) is the method, which parses the ini file for changes concerning the Locale definition and overwrites the configuration already set in "Locale current".

But this method is only called from AbtNlsCfsSupportApp class>>startUp (which is defined in application AbtNlsCfsSupportApp) and this startUp method is called AFTER the prerequisite application AbtNlsKernelApp has been started-up.

That's at least as I understand the code .... :-)

tstalzer wrote:We have the AbtNlsKernelApp included in the pre-requisites
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0