Which DBMS on Linux with VAST/GLORP?

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Which DBMS on Linux with VAST/GLORP?

Postby jtuchel » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:12 am

I've built a little toy app to see how VAST and GLORP play together. So far, I use Access / ODBC on my Windows box, and this seems to run okay. I am very surprised how performant GLORP can be, even though the version shipped with VAST 8.0.2 is somewhat archeological.

I would like to package the app to run on a Linux machine, but I wonder what I could use as a replacement for Access.
We have PostgreSQL in use for several tasks on Linux, so this would be my favorite, since we have the knowlegde and a ready-made installation.

Unfortunately, PostgreSQL is not on the list of supported DBMS of VAST (yet?).

So what can I use?
* ODBC for Linux? will it run with VAST?
* DB2 Express-C? I guess it will run with the CLI interface quite nicely. And the GLORP support is probably not too bad.

Any recommendations? Experiences?

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Re: Which DBMS on Linux with VAST/GLORP?

Postby marten » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:34 am

DB2 Express-C is a good choice - remember the preconfigured images for VirtualBox using Ubuntu I published several months ago ? I used Express-C for that. But Express-C is one of these large giant databases/software tools ..... just support "a little toy app".

ODBC may run under Linux - depending on the quality of the ODBC drivers ... and one should be prepared to do some work there. If I remember I have used the ODBC driver against the old SAP-DB 7.4 under Linux (several years ago), which worked pretty well.

SQLite might be suitable for you !? I published some Glorp support for SQLite (its available at vastgoodies.com).

"archeological" :-)

jtuchel wrote:I've built a little toy app to see how VAST and GLORP play together. So far, I use Access / ODBC on my Windows box, and this seems to run okay. I am very surprised how performant GLORP can be, even though the version shipped with VAST 8.0.2 is somewhat archeological.

I would like to package the app to run on a Linux machine, but I wonder what I could use as a replacement for Access.
We have PostgreSQL in use for several tasks on Linux, so this would be my favorite, since we have the knowlegde and a ready-made installation.

Unfortunately, PostgreSQL is not on the list of supported DBMS of VAST (yet?).

So what can I use?
* ODBC for Linux? will it run with VAST?
* DB2 Express-C? I guess it will run with the CLI interface quite nicely. And the GLORP support is probably not too bad.

Any recommendations? Experiences?

Joachim
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Postby jtuchel » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:39 am

Marten,

thanks for answering. Seems my best option will be going through the hassles of installing odbc on the linux box and try connecting to postgres.

Any word from Instantiations about PostgreSQL-support?

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Postby tc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:02 pm

Hello,

Any word from Instantiations about PostgreSQL-support?

We do not have a firm road map of future features but details of what is wanted would help when discussing candidates. I've not used PostgreSQL on a project and can't really speak to it.

I did notice that Marten has a config map at http://vastgoodies.com/ for PostgreSQL and the description reads:

This map is only needed to include the PostgreSQL-Database low-level interface as a feature within the
organization of VASmalltalk.

This "feature" map will load all the code needed to do database development
against the original interface of PostgreSQL

What features would you want to see beyond the CM mentioned above to satisfy the requirement of 'PostgreSQL-support'?

--tc
tc

Postby marten » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:55 pm

The Abt-Layer of the database support of my PostgreSQL wrapper is missing (and is a pretty boring stuff to do due to limited documentation available). On the other hand: the ODBC drivers for PostgreSQL have improved very much over the last years.

Marten

tc wrote:
What features would you want to see beyond the CM mentioned above to satisfy the requirement of 'PostgreSQL-support'?

--tc
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0