[8.0.2] Seaside - double click results into empty pages

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

[8.0.2] Seaside - double click results into empty pages

Postby marten » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:56 pm

I have a page (produced by Seaside) with lots of links (pointing again to Seaside pages). When I do a (fast) double click on one link (the page itselfs takes one seconds to be build), I have no problems getting empty white pages.

It seams, that the browser tab gets the initial page information - but the rest is aborted due to the following second click. When I press "refresh" on that empty browser tab I get the correct page.

Any idea ?
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Re: [8.0.2] Seaside - double click results into empty pages

Postby jtuchel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:25 pm

Marten,

was #renderContentOn: called on dblClick? Did it return something?
Did you check the HTTP communication for reasons of the empty page (I use Firebug for such things)?

This may be a browser issue rather than a server side problem. What Browser are you using? To my knowledge, there is not actually a standard behaviour for double clicks on Links in HTML...

Let me give you an example for why I suspect this:
I sometimes get bitten by my boredom of repeating click sequences several dozens of times a day. I move the mouse too fast after clicking a link, and then the browser marks the link as visited/active, but no request is sent to the server. So I often look for reasons why I get no response, until I realize there never was a request ;-)

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Postby jtuchel » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:47 pm

Marten,

I just tried with Firefox and Firebug. I don't see the behaviour you describe. A double click just sends a POST, which gets answered by a 302, then the browser sends a GET and the renderContentOn: is executed and I get the next page...

But my pages are rendering within a handful of milliseconds...

Maybe what you are seeing is a side effect of your pages taking long to render. The second click of your dbl click is probably not part of the double click, but a second click, and maybe that is the effect. If you visit any page on the web and click on a link and then on another before the page to which the first link lead, you typically will get the page you clicked on with your second click. In seaside, this means the server would get two requests with the same session/continuation parameters, and that may be causing some problems. But you will only find out if you debug server side.

Joachim
Last edited by jtuchel on Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jtuchel
[|]

Postby marten » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:48 pm

jtuchel wrote:Marten,

was #renderContentOn: called on dblClick? Did it return something?
Did you check the HTTP communication for reasons of the empty page (I use Firebug for such things)?

This may be a browser issue rather than a server side problem. What Browser are you using? To my knowledge, there is not actually a standard behaviour for double clicks on Links in HTML...

Let me give you an example for why I suspect this:
I sometimes get bitten by my boredom of repeating click sequences several dozens of times a day. I move the mouse too fast after clicking a link, and then the browser marks the link as visited/active, but no request is sent to the server. So I often look for reasons why I get no response, until I realize there never was a request ;-)

Joachim

Ok, the situation is a little more complicated as I thought. The main problem seems to be to get this error for the first time. I can get this error for the first time, when I do silly and stupids clicks on a web-page in a very fast way of clicking. In the worst case I get a socket exception - but more normally I get empty white pages.

After I've reached this state I can reproduce this problem very easily - every normal double click produces an empty page.

To get a more robust system again I have to stop the WASstServerAdaptor and restart it again. Then I'm in the situation where it is hard to get the error for the first time.

And yes: it happens with IE, Firefox and Safari (others are not tested).

And yes: the renderContentOn: method is executed (one - for the first click ?). But the empty page "shows" the content of the second click (perhaps a different link - because I made a very fast click on different links). When I do a refresh I get the content of the second click !
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0