How to ? Server without any GUI (without X ..)

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

How to ? Server without any GUI (without X ..)

Postby marten » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:23 am

Now to a question I always asked me - but I never tried to solve, but now I need to do that. I want to build a Seaside server application on a Linux server without ANY installed X server.

Do I have to use the Server Workbench to create that special server ? Or can I use the typical packager way to create a topless image ????
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Re: How to ? Server without any GUI (without X ..)

Postby wembley » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:56 am

Marten -

At the moment you must use XD to build headless server images.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby marten » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:29 am

wembley wrote:Marten -

At the moment you must use XD to build headless server images.

Ok, I thought so - and tried this already and then I noticed, that the configuration expressions for most of my application (using subapplications to divide between platforms) had to be rewritten to make it possible for the server workbench to load my application without any problems (hello, new versions for vastgoodies :-) ). I changed all the prerequisites from bottom to top - but then I ran against a wall, when trying to load the configuration map "ENVY/Image SCI V 8.0.2 [146]" I got the following error:

Error: 322 Cannot complete the load because the application named SocketCommunicationsInterface cannot be configured for the image.

and that's suprising for me, because all configuration expressions seems to be ok .... (I tried to create a server image for windows for the first test. the result must run under Linux and uses Seaside).

Any idea ? Or do I have here problems in understanding this XD feature ?

Another question: why do the application have configuration expression like

System vmType = 'ES' and: [(System subsystemType: 'SCI') = 'WIN']

and not:

System vmType = 'ES' and: [(System image subsystemType: 'SCI') = 'WIN'] ? I think, that the last version is mentioned in the documentation ?
marten
[|]

Postby koschate » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:15 am

marten wrote:I changed all the prerequisites from bottom to top - but then I ran against a wall, when trying to load the configuration map "ENVY/Image SCI V 8.0.2 [146]" I got the following error:

Error: 322 Cannot complete the load because the application named SocketCommunicationsInterface cannot be configured for the image.

Marten, you also need to make sure that you've specified the appropriate features when you create the XD image prior to loading. When you choose "New Image" from the XD menu, you get an Image Properties dialog where you choose the Image Type and the Installed Features. The Features are a multiple-select list box. In your case, at the very least, you'll want to select "Communications - TCP/IP".
koschate
[|]

Postby marten » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:29 am

koschate wrote:The Features are a multiple-select list box. In your case, at the very least, you'll want to select "Communications - TCP/IP".

Amazing - I looked at that dialog and asked myself: "Installed feature" ? How can I get rid of the entries I do not want to use .... :oops:

Thanks !
marten
[|]

Postby koschate » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:37 am

marten wrote:Amazing - I looked at that dialog and asked myself: "Installed feature" ? How can I get rid of the entries I do not want to use ....

It's not the most intuitive interface in the world. That list looks an awful lot like the Subsystem Types list, which behaves completely differently. It might be better if the Installed Features selection worked the same way as the Load/UnloadFeatures... dialog under the Tools menu, but it would also make the dialog bigger.
koschate
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0