Google search

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Google search

Postby jtzecher » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:56 am

Out of curiosity and an attempt to help Smalltalk's status on the Tiobe index, I ran a Google search on smalltalk. A number of interesting sites came up as well as most of the Smalltalk vendors I'm familiar with. However, Instantiations was glaringly absent from the list of sites returned. I'm not really sure if this is the appropriate forum to point this out. However, it seemed to me that somebody at Instantiations would be best qualified to bring this up with Google. Here's hoping I see Instantiations in the list when I google smalltalk again tomorrow.
jtzecher

Re: Google search

Postby daswartz » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:23 am

jtzecher wrote:I ran a Google search on smalltalk. A number of interesting sites came up as well as most of the Smalltalk vendors I'm familiar with. However, Instantiations was glaringly absent from the list of sites returned.

I wonder if this is related to the reorganization of the Instantiations site since the Google transaction. http://www.instantiations.com/VAST, where most web links for VA point, is no longer a "real" page, but a redirect to st.instantiations.com. It's possible Google considers www.instantiaions.com/VAST dead, or at least, not Smalltalk related.

Doug Swartz
daswartz

Postby jtzecher » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:06 am

[quote]I wonder if this is related to the reorganization of the Instantiations site since the Google transaction. http://www.instantiations.com/VAST, where most web links for VA point, is no longer a "real" page, but a redirect to st.instantiations.com. It's possible Google considers http://www.instantiaions.com/VAST dead, or at least, not Smalltalk related.[/quote]

That is plausible. Another observation I had last week was that when I used the search "Smalltalk IDE" (one of the suggested related searches), I did see a link to instantiations from there. However, today I don't see it there any more. Was it all a dream or are these links being deliberately severed from the google search engine? I don't need to be privy to the details (of course I'd like to) but I hope somebody gets to the bottom of it soon and corrects it.
jtzecher

Postby wembley » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:45 am

I've asked the people in the company who should know the answer to this question for an explanation.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0