Sendling #inspect to an object in a packaged GUI program

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Sendling #inspect to an object in a packaged GUI program

Postby PhotonDemon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:53 am

Hi,

I have a packaged GUI program (VAST 5.5.2) that monitors the status of a bunch of NT services by asking them for a status object (sent via TCP/IP and ObjectDumper). I display much of the information in these status objects in the GUI program. I would like an easy way to view everything in the status object by sending it the #inspect message. Before I jump in and do this I wonder if anyone has tried it and if it will cause me any packaging problem.

Lou
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon
mailto:Lou@Keystone-Software.com http://www.Keystone-Software.com
PhotonDemon
[|]

Re: Sending #inspect to an object in a packaged GUI program

Postby wembley » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:15 am

Lou -

You didn't mention whether the GUI program was a development image or a packaged runtime image. Since you are worried about sending #inspect, I assume it must be a packaged runtime image. Since #inspect is implemented in the development tools (EtTools app) layer of VA Smalltalk, it is not licensed for use at runtime.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Re: Sendling #inspect to an object in a packaged GUI program

Postby PhotonDemon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:38 am

Hi John,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I sorry I wasn't clearer. You are correct, the GUI program is a packaged image and I was worried about both license and packaging problems.

I can understand that Instantiations would not want anyone to use VA Smalltalk to build a competing product. That said, there are a lot of objects in the development tools that could be very useful, without jeopardizing the VA Smalltalk product. So, might Instantiations loosen this policy up a bit?

Lou
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
PhotonDemon
[|]

Postby wembley » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:51 am

Lou -

We are always happy to reconsider any of our policies. What we are dealing with here is both a licensing issue and a technical issue.

First the technical issue: The development tools were not designed with the intent of being packaged. So, for example, they are not terribly rigorous about declaring prereqs and they are not well-factored for subdividing into smaller apps.

Then the licensing issue: It is not clear how to divide the code in the development apps into OK for runtime and not OK for runtime.

The only time I can think of that we have dealt with this issue in the past is when we enabled the Compiler for packaging (due to a customer desire to be able to have their end-users program their business app in a subset of Smalltalk). So, tell us what part of the development tools you specifically want at runtime and I'll tell you if it's possible.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby PhotonDemon » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:06 am

John,

Thanks again for the prompt reply. My immediate desire would be to be able to view the contents (instance variables) of an object in a window the way #inspect works in the development environment. I don't think I need the full depth and breath of #inspect with things like "basic inspect" and the opening of other windows but seeing the contents of collections and other objects is needed.

I am willing to do some wrapper work like dealing with the window or what ever but I don't want to re-invent the wheel if I don't have to.

Lou
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
PhotonDemon
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0