How to read file creation date?

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

How to read file creation date?

Postby DEBRO » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi there,

We've been tasked with what seems to be a simple problem of reading the creation date of a text file however, I don't see anything in the library that supports this. Does anyone have any insight on reading the creation date of a text file? We need to read and commit this date to the database with other records. Thanks.
Take care,
Dennis
DEBRO

Re: How to read file creation date?

Postby koschate » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:46 am

I believe what you're after is CfsStat>>#stCtime. The comment in the method appears to be incorrect (at least under Windows), unless someone can clarify to me the difference between a file being changed and modified. If you look at an existing file's properties using Windows Exploder and using CfsStat, you'll be able to see the matches.
koschate
[|]

Re: How to read file creation date?

Postby DEBRO » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:15 am

Hi there,

koschate wrote:I believe what you're after is CfsStat>>#stCtime. The comment in the method appears to be incorrect (at least under Windows), unless someone can clarify to me the difference between a file being changed and modified. If you look at an existing file's properties using Windows Exploder and using CfsStat, you'll be able to see the matches.

Thank you! This is exactly what I'm looking for.
Take care,
Dennis
DEBRO

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0