Redundant Required Map

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Redundant Required Map

Postby koschate » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:20 am

The config map "z.ST: Refactoring Browser" includes "Refactoring Browser Model" as well as "Refactoring Browser". Since "Refactoring Browser" already includes "Refactoring Browser Model" as a required map, it doesn't need to be repeated.
koschate
[|]

Re: Redundant Required Map

Postby tc » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:18 am

Hello,

I believe 'z' maps are automatically generated during a build.

--tc
tc

Postby jtuchel » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:25 am

Taylor,

not sure what you want to say with this.

a) There's nothing Instantiations can do about it
b) It's going to be hard because the build process needs to be changed
c) It is correct as it is because the build process did it

Since this is not an issue that hinders users from loading the RB, it is not pressing, but load times could be improved. In an environment that's heavily dependent on loading maps, you can have load times of up to two minutes, and if you can cut a few seconds from that, you'll greatly improve acceptance of such tools...

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Postby tc » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:54 am

Hello,

I suppose I mean, the map is not loaded twice because it is listed as a required map in two different locations. As for checking if a required map is loaded, Envy is going to do that anyway, at the app level if needed, so, it seems to me the situation is harmless.

This is what appears in my Transcript for V 8.0.1:

Loading z.ST: Refactoring Browser
Loading the configuration map z.ST: Refactoring Browser V 8.0.1 [134] (with its required maps)...
Loading the configuration map Refactoring Browser Model V 8.0.0 [122]...
Loading the configuration map Refactoring Browser V 8.0.0 [122]...
Loading the configuration map Mastering ENVY/Developer Refactoring Browser Extensions V 8.0.1 [134]...
Loading the configuration map z.ST: Refactoring Browser V 8.0.1 [134]...
Loaded z.ST: Refactoring Browser V 8.0.1 [134] (with its required maps).

The first line represents the selection in the features window.
The second line says Envy will load the required maps.
The next three lines are the required maps.
Now that all the required maps are loaded, the 'z' map can load its apps except there are no apps to load. 'z' maps have required maps.
The last line says the 'z' map is loaded.

Behind the scenes, apps (and config maps) were not loaded then reloaded.

The above applies if we are speaking of the same version of a required map.

--tc
tc

Postby jtuchel » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:59 am

Hi Taylor,

Okay, now I understand. What you're saying is that if two maps have the same edition of a map as RequiredMap, the RequiredMap will not be loaded twice...

So the problem is just a cosmetic one, if any.

Thanks!
jtuchel
[|]

Postby koschate » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:42 am

I disagree that the problem is just a cosmetic one. The reason I came across this redundancy in particular is that I made a change to one of the applications in Refactoring Browser Model, and discovered that I had to change two maps that depended on it. It's annoying, but there's no good reason for it. If Instantiations isn't capable of fixing the code that generates the z.xx maps that result in redundant inclusions, might I suggest exposing it to the community, so we can either fix it, or at least generate our own z.xx maps if necessary? And, as suggested in another thread, let's clarify the relationship between feature loads and z.xx maps!
Last edited by koschate on Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
koschate
[|]

Postby jtuchel » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:47 am

okay, good point.
Redundancy is not only relevant on load but also in maintenance of dependencies. Stupid me.
We need a fix.
jtuchel
[|]

Postby wembley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:08 am

Thomas and Joachim -

We already have a case open on this item -- 46578. The fix is to remove the RMLs from the RB maps themselves since, as you note, they are redundant.

Keeping RMLs current and correct has been a large problem in the early days of VisualAge Smalltalk. This lead to the invention of the Feature Load maps (z.<whatever> and zz.<whatever>). These are the only maps shipped with the product that should have RMLs, and their RMLs are updated as part of the image build. I don't intend to try to defend this design decision -- it was made many years ago, and while it has lead to some minor heartburn for the development team over the years, it generally works pretty well.

There have been a few groups of maps shipped with the product that had redundant RMLs -- these are mostly open source project maps such as SUnit and the RB. But for V8.0.2 the RB maps are the only product maps we ship with embedded RMLs; for V8.0.3 there will be none.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0