Still seeing odd Table Widget & Column View behavior

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Still seeing odd Table Widget & Column View behavior

Postby PhotonDemon » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:33 am

Hi,

Sorry for starting a new topic for this but I wanted a fresh start. I'm still seeing odd Table Widget & Column View behavior but now I think I can describe it a little better. Everything works fine when running my program in the development environment. The odd behavior occurs with the packaged image of the program. The trouble is with the "reorderable" column feature. With this feature the user can left click on the heading of a column and drag it to the left or right and switch the columns around.

The problem presents itself in one of two ways. Sometimes, I can't get the column heading to accept the down-click-mouse=move and get ready to be reordered. Normally, the heading background color changes to blue. When this version of the problem occurs, nothing happens, there is no recognition that the heading has been grabbed.

The second way the odd behavior occurs can be seen in the graphic below. I click on any of the headings, in this case the "From" heading was clicked on (down and up). I then move the mouse over the "Subject" column hold the mouse button down and move the mouse slightly, still keeping it over the "Subject" column heading. Then the "From" heading changes color as if it was selected to be moved (reordered). What should happen is the "Subject" column should change color and be selected to be moved. If I let the mouse button up, the "From" column moves as if I had selected it to be moved.

Note: I am also using the sortable column feature and drag and drop between the two sections of the window. Both of these features seem to work fine. I only mention them because the same Widget kit methods that deal with the "reorderable" feature deals with them too. When I look at the code it seems fine to me. Which is what one would expect being that it works when run in the development environment. So, there must be something that I am doing or that changes with packaging. I just don't have any idea as to what it could be.

Lou
Attachments
Test.gif
Test.gif (17.08 KiB) Viewed 183 times
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon
mailto:Lou@Keystone-Software.com http://www.Keystone-Software.com
PhotonDemon
[|]

Re: Still seeing odd Table Widget & Column View behavior

Postby PhotonDemon » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:12 pm

It seems the problem is caused having Image Drag Drop Spec set for both my Table Widgets with true for both source and target. With these set to false, the problem disappears. So, I guess I can have one or the other but not both unless I am willing to have both and let the column ordering act oddly.

Eric, any ideas on how I can have both drag/drop between my table widgets and also have column ordering?

Lou
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
PhotonDemon
[|]

Postby PhotonDemon » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:07 am

I have attached a file out of a simple program that demonstrates the problem. It is a window with two table widgets, each with four columns. The reorder column feature is set on and the drag/drop attributes are set.

Again, running the program in the development environment, works fine. After packaging, the reorder column feature works after a fashion. It is hard to grab the column header and the wrong header is grabbed.

I'm thinking the problem is not with the column reorder code (but it could be) as much as with some low level mouse event code :roll:

Lou

KscTestWidgetTable.Txt
Extent changed from .st to .txt for upload
(5.61 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
PhotonDemon
[|]

Postby solveig » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:48 am

Lou,

Thanks for the test case. Unfortunately, I am having problems with it. I am opening a case for it (46846) and including details therein. Expect e-mail shortly regarding case 46846.

Regards,
Solveig
solveig

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0