Where is AIX (resolved)

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Where is AIX (resolved)

Postby daswartz » Thu May 06, 2010 7:54 am

We are finally going to start upgrading from Version 7 to get current at work. I went to the download page and was quite surprised to not see the AIX versions. Where did they go? Did I miss an announcement dropping AIX support? I don't think so as the V8 data sheet includes AIX.

Also - I know you won't pre-announce, but Is there a timeframe when we can expect V8.0.2 to be GA. If it will be soon, we might as well skip 8.0.1 and go straight to 8.0.2.

thanks,
Doug Swartz
daswartz

Re: Where is AIX

Postby wembley » Thu May 06, 2010 8:05 am

Doug -

No, AIX hasn't been dropped -- I'm just having a problem with our AIX hardware and will have to move the VM Build environment to a new machine. So we took the opportunity to see if anyone cared that AIX wasn't available. :wink:

V8.0.2 will be available 'real soon now', so wait for it (especially since I'm not going to do a V8.0.1 for AIX). V8.0.2 for AIX may not be available at the same time as the other platforms, but now that someone has claimed some interest in it, I will do the work to build it.
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby koschate » Thu May 06, 2010 8:08 am

Let me add that there's a certain auto manufacturing plant that's begun planning a VA 8 migration for this summer that's also very keenly interested in the availability of 8.0.2.
koschate
[|]

Postby daswartz » Thu May 06, 2010 10:16 am

John,

Thank you for the "real soon now" information.

wembley wrote:So we took the opportunity to see if anyone cared that AIX wasn't available

:D

wembley wrote:V8.0.2 for AIX may not be available at the same time as the other platforms, but now that someone has claimed some interest in it, I will do the work to build it.

Are there changes to the V8.0.2 VM or runtime libraries? Or, will it be possible to run headless images packaged in 8.0.2 against the V8.0 runtimes (Which can be downloaded)? If so, we can potentially upgrade as soon as 8.0.2 is available without waiting for you to get your AIX environment fixed.
daswartz

Postby wembley » Thu May 06, 2010 10:43 am

Doug -

V8.0.2 packaged image w/ V8.0 VM should work.
wembley

Postby koschate » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:46 am

wembley wrote:V8.0.2 will be available 'real soon now', so wait for it

Do we have an ETA yet for for the AIX version? I'm planning to start work on a migration at the beginning of July, with a first production release in September. It would be be much better if I actually had a version onto which I could migrate!
koschate
[|]

Postby wembley » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:46 am

Thomas etal.,

Yes, we have an ETA. The VM build environment has been reconstructed and I am now, once again, able to build AIX VMs.

I have 2 options for your short-term needs (where short-term means before V8.0.3 is available):

1) A V8.0.2 AIX distro with the AIX V8.0.1 VM. Since there were no VM changes in V8.0.2 that affected AIX, this is effectively V8.0.2 (except for the tag line on the Transcript). If you want this distro, please send an email to vast-support@instantiations.com with your request and we will give you the download link.

2) A V8.0.3 development build. This will be available approximately the first week of July and will include a V8.0.3 AIX VM.
wembley

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0