Renaming trace logs

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Renaming trace logs

Postby szymczak » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:28 am

We recently upgraded to VA 7.5 from IBM VAST 4.0. We removed a splash screen exe from the command line and began using the VA bitmap file feature. Later I discovered that underappreciated splash screen exe was also providing functionality that created unique tracelog names for each user's session. This splash screen exe was written years ago in CC++ and built using Visual Studio 6.0. We no longer have the original environment or anyone who uses this technology. The original developer is long gone. I was thinking I'd have to at least rebuild the spash screen exe with the new Smalltalk VM dll and there may be other changes too. Does anyone know a more modern way to rename tracelog files?
szymczak

Re: Renaming trace logs

Postby szymczak » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:58 am

I see there have been a few views of my post, but no replies. Maybe I didn't explain it well. I want to know if others are renaming the trace.log file such that they have a unique log for each user session, and if so how are they doing this? Thanks.
szymczak

Postby koschate » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:53 am

Speaking for myself, I'm not exactly sure what you refer to when you mention trace logs. I assume you're using packaged images and writing to a log file. Possibly you're capturing Transcript output to a file. You might find what you're looking for with CfsStat class>>#abtUniqueName:, which will take a file name skeleton and answer a unique name based on that.
koschate
[|]

Postby szymczak » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:45 am

Yes, I am referring to the log file that is specified by the -l command line parameter when starting our packaged image. (I thought I saw a reference to trace log somewhere and assumed this was a standard name). We use Citrix to host our application and use the command line argument -ltrace.log. A c++ exe runs and renames the tracelog that was created so that each user has a unique file for their session. I was hoping I wouldn't have to delve into this old c++ build and wondered if others had the need to create unique log files and how they managed to do that. Thanks for your response.
szymczak

Postby marten » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am

What about changing the command line (under Windows) to:

-l%USERNAME%.log

?
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Postby szymczak » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:15 am

Currently the logs are going to individual user directories based on the userid. Having a separate log file for each session, organized by date/time is very useful if we ever need to go back and debug. The c++ program grabs the trace.log from the command line and renames it to something like trace080807033825.log. Thanks much for your reply.
szymczak

Postby koschate » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:41 am

By the sounds of it, your best bet would be to provide the appropriate file name to begin with, by invoking the VA program from a shell script of some sort. Basic Windows CMD files won't give you the flexibility you need, but you might want to check out Microsoft's Powershell, which is a free download.
koschate
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0