Running a development image without a library

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Running a development image without a library

Postby steven.lafavor » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:51 am

We have a web application coded in Smalltalk 7 using Web Connection. Under normal circumstances, we do a reduced runtime package on it and deploy and everything is hunky dory.

Sometimes however, we encounter some problems in packaging that, due to issues, we cannot resolve the problems before the release, so we deploy a development image that works fine.

The question I have is this - Can a development image run without a repository? I truly believe that the answer is yes, provided that you do not want to see the source code of methods, and do not need to debug anything. I just need to get confirmation on it....

*Steve*
steven.lafavor

Re: Running a development image without a library

Postby tc » Sat May 08, 2010 2:46 am

Hello,

In all the groups I've worked in, I've never seen that. This may be a try and see experiment. However, the initial dialog will pop up about not finding a repo and do you want to continue. After that would be a walkback, which may confuse users.

You could try a minimal repo without useful code and see if that works.

--tc
tc

Re: Running a development image without a library

Postby steven.lafavor » Tue May 25, 2010 7:15 pm

Just as a followup for those who are interested.....

It actually does work. After the walkback, the image is completely functional except to see code.

*Steve*
steven.lafavor

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0