Embedded AcrobatViewer ?

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Embedded AcrobatViewer ?

Postby marten » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:00 am

Has anyone done an embedded AcrobatViewer - based on the AcrobatReader - and not the standard or professional version. This is possible with .NET and MFC based systems, but not with VA ?!

Marten
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Re: Embedded AcrobatViewer ?

Postby tc » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:24 pm

Hello,

The easiest way is to use an activex control but when I tested it, it did not load files. I don't know of any non-standard readers except for foxit reader but I do not think it has an activex control.

--tc
tc

Re: Embedded AcrobatViewer ?

Postby marten » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:31 pm

tc wrote:Hello,

The easiest way is to use an activex control but when I tested it, it did not load files. I don't know of any non-standard readers except for foxit reader but I do not think it has an activex control.

--tc

The Active-X control of the AcrobatReader is only suitable for the IE, it does not support OLE-Automation (therefore it can not be used by VA). But with VS2008 you just select the control and you can use it - pretty easily. I've seen code on codeProject.com, where a MFC-based application showed how to use it anyway and there seems to be Java code out there, which also makes it possible to use this control.

FoxitReader indeed delivers an Active-X control (even with its reader and a very nice one), which can load a file to view it - actually enough for me. The more enhanced Active-X control from Foxit costs much more....

Thanks,
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0