VA Smalltalk 8.0 & Windows Themes

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

VA Smalltalk 8.0 & Windows Themes

Postby jduff » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:52 pm

The release notes for VA Smalltalk 8.0 talk about support for Windows Themes in the IDE. Is this true of runtimes?

We just recently installed version 8.0 and started migrating our code. When we launch and test our application from within the IDE, the buttons and general UI feel reflect the Windows Theme (e.g. buttons are rounded). If we use the Packager Control Panel to produce a runtime we do not have Windows Theme support (e.g. buttons have the Windows classic square look).

So, ultimately, I'd like to make sure that we have Windows Theme support in both IDE and runtime or in neither. I would be happy with either resolution.

Thanks.
jduff

Re: VA Smalltalk 8.0 & Windows Themes

Postby jtuchel » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:52 am

jduff,

did you add the .manifest file to your deployment VM Exe?

Example: if you deploy as OurApp.Exe and OurApp.icx, you should add the OurApp.Exe.manifest file to the same directory as the .exe.

hth

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Postby jduff » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:39 am

No, I didn't include a manifest. I'll check that out. Thanks!

In the mean time, does anyone know of documentation for the manifests? Was that support added in 8.0? We've never used a manifest before.

The only info I found is very brief @ http://www2.instantiations.com/VAST/Docs/801/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=mi/migra757.html
jduff

Postby jtuchel » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:50 am

Hi jduff,

manifests are more a Windows thing than VAST specific, so this might be the reason why Instantiations didn't add it to the documentation.

In essence, the most important thing to know is that Windows theming is activated in that file and therefor it has to reside next to the .exe file. If you like the way it works for your dev environment, just deploy it with your exe.
The manifest is an xml file and much in it is not self-explanatory.

If you need to know more about .manifest files, you'd better see if you find something on msdn.

cu

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Postby jduff » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:07 pm

Thanks for the help so far!

Now, one QA person is showing odd visual problems that prevent her from using the Windows Themes; she has to remove the manifest to make the application work.

I've been consulting the MSDN and I have been checking versions of Shell32.dll, UxTheme.dll, and Comctl32.dll with no conclusive results, yet.
An example of the webpage I've consulted: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms649781%28VS.85%29.aspx

Attached is a screenshot of what she is seeing (our login window). (That's her desktop showing in the text field and button areas). Any ideas?
Attachments
loginWIndow.jpg
Example screenshot
loginWIndow.jpg (7.76 KiB) Viewed 277 times
jduff

Postby solveig » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:28 am

John contacted Instantiations support with this odd behavior. (case 45694 Support request: Themes)

The resolution to the case is as follows: The login window screen shot was the result of mixing the executable of an earlier version (specifically VisualAge 6.0) with VA Smalltalk 8.0 in the QA installation.

-solveig
solveig

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0