Web Services using a server with authentication

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Web Services using a server with authentication

Postby totallyobjects » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:33 pm

I am trying to connect to a web service - Sharepoint as it happens.

I can connect to a standard Sharepoint server that is an open server and have no problem using the sample code in the Web Services manual to do so.

I can retrieve the XML WSDL file using a web browser.

I am now trying to connect to a secure Sharepoint service. I can connect with a browser and get the WSDL by in-lining the username and password into the url. However, I can't track down how to put that log in information into the VAST Web services connection.

Can anyone point me at a manual or a scrap of code that would help.

At the moment, we are using SocketSet to directly connect and retrieve the XML and parsing that. We would like to get the Web Services code to work though.
David
Totally Objects.
totallyobjects
[|]

Re: Web Services using a server with authentication

Postby Diane Engles » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:14 am

Hi David,

Look at the ws_security example in the sstws directory -- most likely down this path: C:\Program Files\Instantiations\VA Smalltalk\8.0\samples\sstws\ws_security and see if that gives you enough information. Post back if you need something else or more.
Instantiations Smalltalk Support
diane@instantiations.com
Diane Engles

Postby totallyobjects » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:00 am

OK I have looked at the secure examples and they all seem to work fine. However, I am targeting a Sharepoint server which implements standard MS security.

I can access an XML file using a browser by using the following form of url

http://username:password@aSharepointSer ... .asmx?wsdl.

I need to use the VAST Web Services to connect to the same server. I have tested VAST Web services against open Sharepoint servers and I get back correct responses.

is the information in the documents that you pointed me at suitable for access as described above because all of the examples are for locally deployed services.

David
totallyobjects
[|]

Postby Diane Engles » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:51 pm

Hi David,

The examples are standard WS-Security (http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/specs/ws-sec ... curity.htm) and should generalize from local to remote environments which support the standard. I am not sure what standards MS standard security supports, but if it supports this specification, you should be able to generalize the examples.
Instantiations Smalltalk Support
diane@instantiations.com
Diane Engles

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0