Packaging Rule to ignore symbols that are parameters

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Packaging Rule to ignore symbols that are parameters

Postby jtuchel » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:05 am

Hi there,

I was helping a customer with packaging / auto packaging and couldn't find a packaging rule to get rid to some hundred errors in the packaging process.

The situation is this: the customer's application uses a framework that maintains metadata in Dictionaries with symbols as keys. There are lots of senders of
Code: Select all
propertyAt: #aSymbol
and
Code: Select all
propertyAt: #aSymbol put: something

Since theses symbols are names but not names of messages, the packager cannot find implementors of these.

I was looking for a packaging rule to ignore all symbols that are passedf into propertyAt: or propertyAt:put: but couldn't find one.
Am I right or just missing something?

And while we're at it: Is there a way of specifying only the parameter of a certain keyword (meaning only the first parameter to propertyAt:put:) to be ignored?

Is there a place to find some documentation for implementing such rules? I mean, more than "subclass Ep..Rule" ;-)

Thanks in advance

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Re: Packaging Rule to ignore symbols that are parameters

Postby tc » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:19 am

Hello,

Every project I worked on used 'SubApplication class>>#packagerIgnoreSelectors' in each application along with the other packaging methods:

packagerIncludeSelectors
packagerIncludeClassNames
etc.

--tc
tc

Re: Packaging Rule to ignore symbols that are parameters

Postby jtuchel » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:32 am

Hi Taylor,

if we used the approach with packagerIncludeSelectors we'd have to provide a list of all symbols from the metadata. That would surely by a working solution, I just thought about doing it that way the moment I read your answer.

Not the perfect solution but should be working nicely.

Thanks for getting the obvious into my train of thoughts ;-)
jtuchel
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0