Special Characters in Dialog Labels

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Special Characters in Dialog Labels

Postby jtuchel » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:02 am

Hi there

I've got a little problem displaying an Ascii Code point 137 (‰, per thousand) in a label on a visual part. Instead of the special character, only a black square is displayed.

I tried the same in a plain VAST 8.0.1 image, because the system I need this on has a long history, starting on OS/2 in the early nineties. But it seems the problem is the very same on 8.0.1.

I am on a Windows XP box (SP3) and using the MS-1252 codepage. The special character works quite well in the transcript or browsers, so it must be related to the GUI framework, somewhere between Cw and Abt...

Funnyly, Codpoint 176 (­°, degrees) works in the same label...
Any Settings I could try for the labels or their containers?

cu

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Re: Special Characters in Dialog Labels

Postby tc » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:44 am

Hello,

I tried ASCII 137 (an 'e' with an umlaut) but it worked fine for me in the composition editor. I also use xp, service pack 3, and code page MS-1252 is active.

What can I try to reproduce the issue?

Thanks.

--tc
Attachments
va labels1.jpg
va labels1.jpg (126.55 KiB) Viewed 312 times
tc

Postby wembley » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:25 am

tc wrote:I tried ASCII 137 (an 'e' with an umlaut) but it worked fine for me in the composition editor. I also use xp, service pack 3, and code page MS-1252 is active.

Something isn't right here. e-umlaut is ASCII 235 on codepage MS1252 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1252). ASCII 137 is e-umlaut on codepage 850 (and probably others).

Maybe there is some setup difference here. Joachim, are you running with a German locale?
John O'Keefe [|], Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
wembley

Postby jtuchel » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:34 am

John, Taylor,

I was referring to the per thousand sign (percentage sign with an additional subscript zero). It is codepoint 137 in Codepage 819 and, if wikipedia is correct, on MS-1252 as well.

It seems the fact that our VAST 7.0 image is running on a Terminal Server also adds to the situation (all machines having a German locale). On the server

[code]AbtCodePageConverter currentCodePage[/code]

returns 819.

In a local VAST 8.0.1 image, the character shows up correctly in the Transcript and on the label as well. In the remote VAST 7.0 image neither does work. I don't have a local installation of 7.0 available here.
We are using abtrules tables to translate between EBCDIC and ASCII for host transactions and had some issues with special characters from CICS transactions in the past. I am nut sure if there is any influence from there. Do Abt dialogs use CodePage converters? Maybe I am just asking for pointers where to look at, because the more I look into the issue, I come to the conclusion that this is related to some stuff loaded into this project's images...

Thanks for looking into this

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Postby Ralf » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:36 am

Perhaps, it is a problem with the font. I can reproduce this behavior if I choose "arial unicode ms" as font. The label will shown a black square, if I choose verdana as example, the label looks good.

I use VAST 7.5 on W XP SP 3, German, with Codepage 819.

Result_VA.jpg
Example
Result_VA.jpg (45.48 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Ralf

Postby jtuchel » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:38 pm

Ralf,

Bingo!
Surprising! I was expecting to be facing a complicated problem.
If I change the font, the character displays fine.

Thanks, Ralf
jtuchel
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0