Will ibm.software.vasmalltalk be archived anywhere?

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Will ibm.software.vasmalltalk be archived anywhere?

Postby jtuchel » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:56 pm

IBM today announced that they'll close ibm.software.vasmalltalk by the end of this year. The group doesn't accept any new postings any more.

I must admit that the group hasn't been very active over the last two or three years, but still I find a lot of good information on that usenet group, some of which is more than a decade old but still helpful in many cases.

I wonder if there is a place somewhere that will keep the postings for a few years more and where you can search them.

If there's none, would somebody here have time and ressources to archive the group contents? How long does Google Groups keep a group in the archives?

cu

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Re: Will ibm.software.vasmalltalk be archived anywhere?

Postby tc » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:19 pm

Hello,

This is the clearest statement I can find on google about keeping groups:

http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=46439
How far back does Google's Usenet archive go?

Google has fully integrated more than 20 years of Usenet archives into Google Groups, which now offers access to more than 1 billion Usenet messages dating back to 1981. We believe this to be the most complete collection of Usenet articles ever assembled and a fascinating historical document.

. . . so, it seems the group will be searchable on google. One can still post to the group but not through the ibm server.

--tc
tc

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0