Glorp with DB2 ODBC

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Glorp with DB2 ODBC

Postby TriSebastian » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:14 am

Hi!

Has anybody already tried the Glorp port for VAST80 from vastgoodies.com, yet?

I tried it out, changed the GlorpVAPortMap to work without Seaside a little and implemented DB2Platform and DB2Sequence classes.
As I don't have a Oracle10g here, I have no idea how many testcases fail or lead to an error in the original port of Niall. Should all tests pass?

Right now I get a result of 695 passed, 6 failures and 24 errors out of 790 tests.

I also have a newer version of glorp from april.
Using the DB2 ODBC I get a result of 757 passed, 13 failures and 76 errors out of 911 tests.

I have no idea which results I might get running all tests under VW or Squeak.

Is there somebody else working on glorp under VAST80 right now and would like to share some information?
I know that the DB2 ODBC implementation isn't quite mature, yet, but I just would like to get some information on how mature glorp and it's tests are ;-)

Cheers
Sebastian
TriSebastian

Re: Glorp with DB2 ODBC

Postby marten » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:31 am

TriSebastian wrote:Hi!

Has anybody already tried the Glorp port for VAST80 from vastgoodies.com, yet?

I tried it out, changed the GlorpVAPortMap to work without Seaside a little and implemented DB2Platform and DB2Sequence classes.
As I don't have a Oracle10g here, I have no idea how many testcases fail or lead to an error in the original port of Niall. Should all tests pass?

Right now I get a result of 695 passed, 6 failures and 24 errors out of 790 tests.

I also have a newer version of glorp from april.
Using the DB2 ODBC I get a result of 757 passed, 13 failures and 76 errors out of 911 tests.

I have no idea which results I might get running all tests under VW or Squeak.

Is there somebody else working on glorp under VAST80 right now and would like to share some information?
I know that the DB2 ODBC implementation isn't quite mature, yet, but I just would like to get some information on how mature glorp and it's tests are ;-)

Cheers
Sebastian

You are using DB2 via ODBC classes or DB2 via DB2 classes ?? And if going the first way: why ?
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Postby TriSebastian » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:29 am

Hi Marten,

well there's some kind of entry point class in glorp called DBPlatform. This one specifies all your platform specific behavior of db connection.
And Glorp doesn't contain any DB2 platform specific classes. That's why I implemented my own. Mybe I could tweak some existing DB2 layers in VAST, but I didn't want to open to many error sources for my first steps.

In my case, as a first attempt, I use AbtOdbcDatabaseManager for DB2 communication.

Best Regards,
Sebastian
TriSebastian

Postby marten » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:22 am

TriSebastian wrote:Hi Marten,
And Glorp doesn't contain any DB2 platform specific classes. That's why I implemented my own. Mybe I could tweak some existing DB2 layers in VAST, but I didn't want to open to many error sources for my first steps.

It has been a long time ago - some years ago in Essen at an ESUG conference - this code for VA has been written: Use the class VADatabaseAccessor and you may look at connectionClassForLogin: and there you might see, how the VADatabaseAccessor is able to use the AbtIbmCliDatabaseManager, what should be a better way to communicate with the DB2 ...
marten
[|]

Postby marten » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:26 am

TriSebastian wrote:Has anybody already tried the Glorp port for VAST80 from vastgoodies.com, yet?

0.3.178 seems to be pretty old code, or not ? What version is your code ? (April ...)
marten
[|]

Postby TriSebastian » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:03 am

I have no idea :-D

When you published your Postgre SQL implementation on VastGoodies.com, I tried to bring Glorp to VAST 8.0 Beta.

I just tried to port the current april 2009 version from VW to VAST and during porting I lost all version information... :-(

I can just say that this version was absolutely up to date at that time.

Well I think Niall's port might produce a lot fewer error due to the fact, that last changes brought me down to 70 errors,...

I hope I'll have a testable version running next days, which I can publish at vastgoodies.com.

But there will be a lot of improvements to be done. Niall's and my actual version aren't compatible due to a lot of class/application structure changes beeing done beetween both glorp versions.

I'll add the DB2Plattform classes to Niall's map, too. That will make testing and improving easier, I guess.

Cheers!
TriSebastian

Postby TriSebastian » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:23 am

Hi it's me again!

Well, I published a small extension to the Glorp maps wich includes a small modified DB2 implementation by B. Taylor (will merge my version in more detail soon). I testet it with a DB2 9.5 and a Oracle 10g Express. Both worked fine.
I didn't change the perequisites of GlorpVAPort therefore you will still need to load Seaside-Testing and RBBrowser first.
I think that's better for now.

I also added the recent Cincom OR version of Glorp. Now both existing VA versions use the same GlorpVaPort map. But you should execute "EmClassEditionEntry compareMethodSource: true" for better changes browsing due to the fact, that all methods got reimported and now have new timestamps.

I did not clean up or change to much for now. I think it's better to have a defined startingpoint here.

I'll release a improved version soon.

Against a DB2 you may enable the Time and Timestamp tests, the VAPort vor DB2 shoudn't be that difficult as for Oracle. Some tests pass already.

Have fun!
TriSebastian

Postby tc » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:47 am

Hello,

Just to be clear, DB2 CLI runs on top of ODBC, i.e. dealing with CLI means you are dealing with ODBC as well.

--tc
tc

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0