Logging user actions

VA Smalltalk is a "100% VisualAge compatible" IDE that includes the original VisualAge technology and the popular VA Assist and WidgetKit add-ons.

Moderators: Eric Clayberg, wembley, tc, Diane Engles, solveig

Logging user actions

Postby alienali » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:45 pm

Hi,
I need to log user actions to a DB2 database. Do we have a mechanism for doing this in VisualAge? If yes, I can't find it, please point me to it.

Thanks
alienali

Re: Logging user actions

Postby marten » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:33 pm

alienali wrote:Hi,
I need to log user actions to a DB2 database. Do we have a mechanism for doing this in VisualAge? If yes, I can't find it, please point me to it.

Thanks

No, this is not available (as far as I have looked for) ... because logging is very often fullfilled with personal taste: what should be logged, how should it be logged - especially with databases: should one use one db connection for each client only for logging, or perhaps via a logging server, which writes the delivered telegrams using one db2 connection .... or ... or .... or ....
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Postby tc » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:10 am

Hello,

I am unaware of a switch in ST that logs DB activity. If this is for debugging a problem then you would want to write your own custom output to the Transcript or a file. If you want this as a record of user DB activity then that would be better handled on the DB side rather than the client side.

--tc
tc

Postby alienali » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:17 pm

tc wrote:Hello,

I am unaware of a switch in ST that logs DB activity. If this is for debugging a problem then you would want to write your own custom output to the Transcript or a file. If you want this as a record of user DB activity then that would be better handled on the DB side rather than the client side.

--tc

Thanks for your replies.
I was looking for something similar to log4Js, which is a javascript logging framework. I guess I will need to create my own framework for smalltalk.
alienali

Postby marten » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:45 am

alienali wrote:I was looking for something similar to log4Js, which is a javascript logging framework. I guess I will need to create my own framework for smalltalk.

You may look at vastgoodies.com, where I published a small logging framework - mainly for Transcript and file-based logging
Marten Feldtmann, Principal Smalltalk User, Private
SkypeMe callto://marten.feldtmann
marten
[|]

Postby sharma.narender » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:19 am

Have you checked out Toothpick ? (can be found at http://vastgoodies.com/)

Form Toothpick documentation...
Toothpick is a simple tool for logging things of interest in Smalltalk. It's easy to use, very lightweight, and highly configurable. The basic design idea behind Toothpick was to separate an item of interest, called a LoggingEvent, from the three things one needs to think about when logging it:
Whether to log it
Where to log it
How to log it

I think your question is about where to log it(in your case its DB2)...
Thanks!
-- Narender Sharma
Senior Software Engineer
aonhewitt.com
sharma.narender

Postby jtuchel » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:49 pm

Hi

I can recommend Toothpick for logging. You can easily write formatters and loggers that log wherever you want.
This would surely be a solution comparable to log4j, but still you need to hook into the places where you want events to be logged, like "I am now sending the following SQL statement to the DB". I am not aware of any ready made solution that hooks into the DB interface and generates log entries. You need to do that yourself.

So there are good logging solutions like the logging framewokrs that were mentioned in this thread, but the hookup into code is nothing you get for free. There is no standard API that is being used in VASTs frameworks, no "global event logging architecture" or such. Maybe that would be a good idea, especially in the context of server applications.

Joachim
jtuchel
[|]

Return to VA Smalltalk 7.0, 7.5 & 8.0